Silly gas truck driver here

lsxautumn

Sep 30, 2022
Hello, I'm Autumn. I'm a 26 year old weirdo trying to learn about my truck so I can do cool stuff to it because I have a sadistic need to work on vehicles and do mods cause custom. I went to tech school for auto custom, I got a lot of my experience working on a 56 chevy pickup with my father. I wouldn't say I'm a great mechanic by any means but I'm at least competent with the vehicles I have spent extensive time on, being 55-59 chevy truck and GMT800s. I'm starting to register for forums these days because I spend a lot of my time reading them for information and getting ideas for mods I want to do to my truck.

So I found this site when I was searching security upgrades for my GMT800 because my truck was stolen a few weeks ago but thankfully returned in 1 piece. Losing my truck was really devastating so naturally I went on my computer to see how I can protect the truck I irrationally cling too. I came across a thread with a passkey 3+ retrofit which I thought would be a great idea for my truck as passlock 2 allowed my truck to be stolen with a mf screwdriver in broad daylight. My truck is a gas truck so I don't really belong here but I see there's a lot of the finer details of the tech for the GMT800s which I find myself trying to learn as much as possible, so I thought I been searching here a lot.

My truck is an 02 GMC Sierra 2500HD. It has an LQ4 and 4l80E with a full float 14 bolt in the rear. I mostly use my truck for off road driving, I love driving in the mountains here and getting away from people. I have driven this truck since I got my drivers license which was just about 10 years ago now and it has never let me down even now with over 250k miles it's been more dependable than most people. Old grainy picture of it, but prolly the best picture I have of it.truck.jpg

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Welcome!

I believe it was Ben (duratothemax) who did the PassKey 3 conversion on a 2004 or 2005 truck. There were, as I'm sure you know, some major wiring changes in 2003, so I'm curious if it is possible on your 2002.

If you do give it a shot, post up how it goes, I'm really curious. Would be cool if it works for sure!

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Kill switch on mine. Also there are metal guards that you can put behind the door handles to protect lock levers. I believe there is also a lock that goes around the column so no access to the ignition switch.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Just thought I would add my .02

I found Bens write up on the Pass key 3 System. That's pretty cool.

The Jimmy Jammer plates will also slow them down. As of late though, they still try and rip the whole handle off to get at the rods.

At the recomendation of another member here, I went with a Compustar Alarm System. It wasn't cheap, But it has some pretty nice features.

Up until the last 2 years the theft wasn't as huge of a problem as it is now.

On my truck that was broken into prior to the alarm, we actually did get a repeat offender messing with vehicles. I guess he thought the blinking light was fake...