Shudder in reverse

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So before the motor went, i noticed the truck would shudder some in reverse once the trans was hot. it did it before the twins went one but i cant remember when i first noticed it as it was long ago. Then the motor blew and it sat. Well now that im back in it, its doin it again only when hot.

In all forward gears i have no shudder or issues. i have no codes (checked multiple times). It only does this in reverse at idle while you hold the brake to hold the truck back. its like the clutches for reverse are not fully engaging (feels like a really badly warpped flywheel on a clutch when you partial engauge it). if i hold the brake and add a little throttle, it jerks hard like it locked into gear and works fine till i let off the throttle again. Once im off the throttle it goes right back to the shuddering. Where it really bugs me is tryin to back my trailer in, this makes it extremely hard to do lol.

any ideas? ideas on what to scan/monitor? this has gotten progressivly worse since i can remember noticing.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Thanks for the call mike. ill give you a call in a couple weeks to set a date for you and the sheep :D

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Trans had 2k miles on it when it started this brand new now has 6k on it :mad: not my trans either my dads trans in putlr work truck should add its more of double engagement of reverse with a shudder for a second then its gone dont notice it unless trans is hot to

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Bringing this thread back to life, I'm having the same issue. I'm having my trans pulled next week to be repaired and just want to make sure this is a trans issue. I am installing a new higher stall converter while the trans is out and have the converter in my truck sold to a member. Just want to make sure this issue is trans related and not the converter.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I just went back out and put the truck in reverse and held the brake, gave it some throttle and it went into what seemed limp mode. Code 722, output speed sensor no signal. Any ideas? I've been having trans issues just need to be sure the converter is not the culprit.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Also the reason for going in for a refresh is out of the blue my trans started shifting terrible. Long drawn out shifts and engine revs during the shifts, 4-5 is the worst. 1-2 isnt bad but not perfect. If I hold the throttle at 3/4 or more the 4-5 is so long and drawn out it goes into limp mode, code 777 best I can remember. Droped the pan, pulled and dissassembled the valvebody and everything checked out fine. Dont know if these problems are related.

02dmax02

Sep 8, 2013
Same problem

I've been fighting this for some time now. Trans was built by local diesel shop with a stage 5 kit about 6 months ago now I'm getting the shudder in reverse. If I unplug the main plug on the trans it goes into reverse very hard but does not shudder. If I plug it back in in goes in like it should but shudders and jerks when I touch the gas. Desperate need of help. What in the world is wrong?!?!:mad:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Why is it that no one contacts the original builder when there is a problem? A lot of you guys post your problems on forums before you contact the builder. How in the hell is anyone on a forum going to help you when they don't know what the builder did?
By doing this shit, you guys make it look like the builder doesn't give a shit when in certain cases he doesn't even know about the problem.
A lot of you guys post a generic problem without giving a year, history, mods, builder, mileage of the truck. And most important; you never post codes. P0700 means nothing to me guys except the CEL is on.
Remember we cannot see your truck or drive it. We cannot hear the noise. We are blind and need every bit of info you can supply. Diagnosing on the phone or internet is very iffy at best.
The first thing to do when a problem occurs is; see if there is a CEL. If so, get the code read with a professional scanner ( tuners are worthless ) Write down the codes and call your builder with your explanation of the problems. When all else fails, bring all the above info and then maybe we can help.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I've got a truck in the shop now with the same problem as the O.P. more or less. Slips into reverse only. Feels like a converter shudder does only slower. The truck just started this today. When I put it in reverse or drive the OSS spikes a little then goes back to zero on scan data. Once it engages reverse it seems to hold well (will spin the tires if brake torqued and its a dually with about 1500 lbs in the bed). No codes in tcm.

Not sure where to start, my allison book is loaned out and all data fluid flow diagrams are hard to read since my printer isn't color.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I've got a truck in the shop now with the same problem as the O.P. more or less. Slips into reverse only. Feels like a converter shudder does only slower. The truck just started this today. When I put it in reverse or drive the OSS spikes a little then goes back to zero on scan data. Once it engages reverse it seems to hold well (will spin the tires if brake torqued and its a dually with about 1500 lbs in the bed). No codes in tcm.

Not sure where to start, my allison book is loaned out and all data fluid flow diagrams are hard to read since my printer isn't color.

assuming t-case and most everything else checks out, mine wound up being fried clutches and a torn apply piston (dont remember what one). Not saying thats your issue though.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
assuming t-case and most everything else checks out, mine wound up being fried clutches and a torn apply piston (dont remember what one). Not saying thats your issue though.

What can I check on the t case? Truck has 260 on it with original transfer to my knowledge

I should probably mention its an Lmm with a gmax kit I installed about 20k ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk