Shock question

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Hey guys its been a while. Never stopped visiting just haven't posted in a hot minute. Well the time has come to build my high tech trash can. My question is for a cognito 7-9” kit what shock part numbers would I need? Or extended/collapse length by chance. Ive searched for hours and I cant find nothing for rancho or Bilstein. Fox race series is just more coin then I want to spend right now(going to use the cheaper ones for a year then do shock tower and coilovers and bypass in the rear.) thanks for any info. Also between the two what do you recommend? Im currently running rancho 9000s in the front and I do like them.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Well I got in contact with Cognito and all they told me was buy the performance foxes from them. I dont want those. Need some cheaper ones for now till I build tower and such for the front.... any insight would be great.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Here's the issue, a 7-9" lift isn't exactly the most common thing out there. 6" and below has LOADS of shock options but not 7"+. When you buy something that isn't a standard/common configuration you're stuck with expensive parts.

For example, looking at all my suppliers all I decent shocks I show for your lift is the Fox performance shocks. Rancho, Skyjacker, Bilstein all top out at 6" max lift, but Fabtech does offer a 8" lift shock (LINK).

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Hmmmmm I hope this doesn't Push the build out another year... well, I wonder if I could get the extended/collapsed lengths and go from there and order what I need From rancho. The reason I dont want to buy the performance series is 1) they are 2.0 2) Im planning on doing a shock hoop in the front to run a taller/bigger shock. 3) that series is cheap.
wish James would chime in. But I know his old limo was a 8”shock with a 5.5” lift(If I recall correctly). wonder if a 10” shock would work with a riser shock eye? This is getting to complicated.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i have nothing for you. is it a NTBD lift? that will vary the shock length compared to the congnito lift that drops the torsion bars

what you need is someone that will lift their suspension up and let it go full droop, then measure their shocks overall length from bottom of the frame mount where the shock attaches to the center of the lower shock bolt. if you have the extended length, you can then find any off the shelf shock that will work. the length you need will most likely have so much travel that collasped length shouldnt be an issue.

other option is to put the lift on and measure yourself, then head to an offroad warehouse like 4wheelparts and order or see if they have any shocks in back that match or closely match the extended length you need.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
Yeah thats what I think is going to have to happen. The kit is a ntbd. I just dont want to install all of this stuff and have the truck sit till I find shocks or wait the 3-4 weeks to get fox’s. You would think with this truck being so old some one would have this kit and replaced the shocks by now. Geesh. Well at least its not a total kick in the 🥜 🐿

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
since its a NTBD, ill bet you find a 2-4" lift shock works or close to it. dont take my word for it till you measure though.

the NTBD kits had a special length shock made for the lifts IIRC because the bracket that keeps the torsion in the stock location (moves the torsion point from the LCA to a bracket that moves it up higher) also houses the shock mounting point. i have never confirmed that though. So in essence, the shock does not have to extend another 8" from stock, it "technically" should use a stock length shock but we all know stock shocks are too short from factory and im not convinced the pivot point is correct or the height you need.

while you have it apart, it would be worth noting the collapsed length though (no rubber bump in place, go as high as the arms allow). using a shorter shock means collapsed length is more important now. all you need is the upper arm, knuckle, and lower arm all connected with the torsion bar bracket on, then compress it all as far as it allows. Then take your measurement.