Allison 5sp: Shift range inhibit after tcase service

TimmyLLY

Aug 31, 2016
Hey guys so Saturday morning I went to a buddies house to change the tcase fluids. Truck has 167k on it and seems like it's never been serviced because the atf was black and thin. I reserviced it through the speed sensor hole with 3 qts of 5w30 mobile 1 synthetic. Went to leave and the truck pops out of gear as I pull on the road and message pops up saying shift range inhibited. It goes into drive and reverse just fine but as soon as I get going it won't shift out of 1st gear, spedo doesn't register and soon get the same message and pops out of gear. I replaced the VSS this morning and no luck. Same issues. I tried driving around the back roads slowly to try and get the mil to appear but nothing. No codes. Then I pull the connector for the pass though connector on the passangerside of the trans and the connector is wet with atf. I blew it out with electronics cleaner and put in a little dielectric grease to isolate the pins from the fluid seeping through and still same results. I cleaned the connections on the tcm also. Since I bought the truck the abs light has been on, code says front left and right circuit fail.

TimmyLLY

Aug 31, 2016
Mike is that the sensor on the tcase where I fill from? It's plugged in for sure, I replaced it with a new one this morning. I read the resistance across both sensors and they were the same so I don't think it's the sensor. I have turned on the truck, drive it for a little down the road and shut it off repeatedly to try and get a code to pop but nothing my cheap reader will give me. I'll have a V2 soon so I can get more info.

whytry

Oct 11, 2010
That speed sensor has a 12" pig tail or so mounted near the transmission and transfer case flange...it has a connection point there also...check that out real good I've had them corrode inside the coating of the wiring ..you may have disturbed this when you unplugged it.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
That speed sensor has a 12" pig tail or so mounted near the transmission and transfer case flange...it has a connection point there also...check that out real good I've had them corrode inside the coating of the wiring ..you may have disturbed this when you unplugged it.

I have seen a bent pin in the sub harness connector. Look at it carefully.

TimmyLLY

Aug 31, 2016
Ok I didn't know it had a connection further up, I'll check the pins also. But do I have anything to worry about the pass through connector to the internal harness leaking atf?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Ok I didn't know it had a connection further up, I'll check the pins also. But do I have anything to worry about the pass through connector to the internal harness leaking atf?

Maybe you shouldn't be working on this.

TimmyLLY

Aug 31, 2016
What I meant by that is it a dire issue I need to fix now while I'm trouble shooting this current problem, or next weekend when I get it all straightened out. I mentioned the connection having atf but neither of you said anything about it.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
After you drained it why didnt you use the cheap plastic oil pumper from vato zone and check fill level from the weep hole? Glw repair....

TimmyLLY

Aug 31, 2016
So I found the issue, I unclipped the pigtail and pulled the conduit off. The previous owner must have "repaired" the pig tail because I found the male connector for the vss wasn't the original connector. They used butt connectors but didn't heat shrink the repair and it became corroded and disconnected itself when I tucked the pigtail up and out of the way. Thanks for the help