Shift knob

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I have an 02 Duramax with the ZF-6 and I want to change my gear shift knob. I'd like to put a Hurst T handle on it just bc I think they look cool. But nobody seems to know how to get the factory knob off :(. I've looked online and seen where people have cut and welded to their shifters, and I can do that if I need to but there has to be a way to get this thing off! :confused:. Anybody have any ideas?? I've called a couple dealerships but they weren't any help, go figure. So I am at a loss, hopefully this great sight will help me out!:thumb:

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
I read somewhere, i cant remember wyere it was, that the shifter knob is put on with some sort of compression lock and they us a coil spring compression fork to get it off? Sounded strange to me and ive yet to test it but that is what i have read. Keep me updated as im still thinkin of a couple different custom options.

slipclutchms

May 24, 2010
the shift knob is part of the shifter.......all one piece. I cut mine off then tigged a stud to the top.

JakeBrakeIH

Dec 24, 2010
Yaphank, NY
the shift knob is part of the shifter.......all one piece. I cut mine off then tigged a stud to the top.

That's what I did with my old truck. The shifter is hollow so I pressed in an allen bolt that was just the right diameter and was good to go.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Yes I've read you can use some kind of fork to separate them but after looking at it I don't see how. I will probably end up cutting it and welding a bolt inside the stick like y'all say. However when you did this did you end up hitting the dash when going into 6th hard? Because right now on my truck it comes close

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Alright, I got it changed. Really wasn't that bad at all! First I took a box cutter and cut the rubber off the original shifter. I cut down each side and over the top thn it simply peeled off of the hard plastic piece. Then to get the hard plastic piece off I made a cut long ways down the plastic shift knob and it pulled right off. If I was to do it again I think I would heat the shift knob with a heat gun or very hot hair dryer. I think then it would pull of without any kind of cutting. As far as attaching the new T handle, I bought it from Advance autoparts for $30. Then I took a 1/2X20 bolt about 2" long and cut the head off. I coated the bolt in 2 part epoxy and pressed it into the hollow shifter. Then simply screwed my new shift knob on and bam! All done and looks great. When I get the time I will upload a pic

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Then I took a 1/2X20 bolt about 2" long and cut the head off. I coated the bolt in 2 part epoxy and pressed it into the hollow shifter.
Is it not possible to thread the bolt into the shifter and use some locktite on it? Im always skeptical of things that are held together with glue only.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
It may be, I did try that first but the threads felt real loose so I decided to try the epoxy and press fit. honestly I don't see how it would come loose bc I turned the shift knob almost as hard as I could to get it on there nice and tight and the bolt never moved. Even before the epoxy had set. but if it ever does all I have to do is tac weld the bolt to the shifter. That would've involved repainting the shifter though

Last edited:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I know the pic sucks, but it's the best I can do. Hope y'all like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317740663.470754.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1317740663.470754.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 80

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
I got mine done too, ill post pics when i get a chance. You were right about using a heat gun to get the plastic part off, it worked great. I also repainted my whole shifter black. Gettin it off is reall easy and doesnt take much time. To attach my bolt i grinded it down to somewhat of a point then put the bolt in the freezer over night to shrink it, then heated the shifter to expand it, then drove the bolt in with a no bounce mallet

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
picture.php

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Yeah that's why Im glad I went with the T handle. It hides the splines pretty well. But they're nothing a little sanding and paint won't cover up!

Sint frum tha orijinul smert fone

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Yeah that's why Im glad I went with the T handle. It hides the splines pretty well. But they're nothing a little sanding and paint won't cover up!

Im just going to cut mine to help shorten the throw of the shifter and the extra weight of the knob (seriously about 4-5lbs) will compensate for the decrease in leverage.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I considered doing that, but when I go into 6th gear hard my hand comes close to the dash so I figured if I shortened the shifter I'd punch the dash going into 4th and 6th. Yours may have more room to work with though. Keep us updated