sheared crank pin cranks, no start

desaias

May 4, 2023
nebraska
was driving home from oklahoma, got about 1h 45 mins from shroud and it was sounding like it was running super hard, mile or so from there it died, got the harmonic balancer off, that front pins definately sheared, but ive gotta look at that second pin on there and check too see if its sheared, still curious as to why its not starting, i typically see starts but lots of vibration

desaias

May 4, 2023
nebraska
I tapped the starter fast and the crank moves in a way it shouldn't. Kinda side to side. Also drained the oil. Found a shard of metal. There's probably more but I didn't have a very fine strainer

desaias

May 4, 2023
nebraska
So since I've got alot of top end work done. I would like to rebuild the bottom end. I'm wanting too safely get it at like 800 hp. I don't think I need a super expensive crankshaft. But something that will hold up for awhile. What do you guys recommend buying for a crank?

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
I'm still on a stock bottom end but if the time ever arrives that I build it the Callies Durastar is what I would go for. With all the horror stories of guys reusing cranks and they break shortly after that would be a lot of money I'd hate to spend 2x.

Lots of real-world experience on here tho I'm sure someone will chime in.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
IMO, The Callies is the way to go. You don't save much buying a new Crankshaft From GM. I think the difference in price is only $200-$300

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
So since I've got alot of top end work done. I would like to rebuild the bottom end. I'm wanting too safely get it at like 800 hp. I don't think I need a super expensive crankshaft. But something that will hold up for awhile. What do you guys recommend buying for a crank?
Callies durastar is hard to beat.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
1 more thing I forgot to mention. The Callies Crank is already cut for a Key way on the crank snout.
An OEM Crank, you would have to either machine your self or pay some one to do the work...