Service Stabilitrak message

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
Monday evening going home from the hanger driving down the highway I hear 3 chimes and the Service Stabilitrak message appears and the light comes on. There are no codes that my CTS or AutoCal show. I've googled this and used the search on here but haven't found much help. Most of the search results have dtc's or the Traction Control or ABS issues with the stabilitrak. Truck drives fine, I did notice when I made a right turn leaving my subdivision this morning I got the 3 chimes but no other signs of any problem. I had this happen before but it had the Traction Control messege also when the TCM failed.

I have stock size wheels with one size bigger tire that been on the truck for as long as Ive had it. Last weekend I did an engine oil and filter change and I changed the internal trans filter and installed an Allison deep pan and changed the fluid. I also changed the tune from tow to street and have just driven it normal since.

I really don't have a good shop here to take it to, both dealers service center couldn't figure out my emissions problems so I had to delete it just so I could drive it not in limp mode.

I've read of problems in the 1500's on the steering wheel sensor going bad but it thru dtc's. If I have a bad wheel sensor how do I know which one?

Any ideas? I can't be the only one that this has happened to.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Not sure if it’s the same problem but my lbz had a similar issue. Abs light would come on when making sharp turns. Someone told me to hook a scanner up that will read the abs sensors while you’re driving and see if one is going haywire. May help you I’m not sure.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I do not have a scanner that will read the wheel sensors so I'm gonna test them with a multimeter once life gives me a spare minute. I've been reading and watching videos when I have a spare minute and it seems that there should be a code for these going bad or the steering wheel sensor.

Since the wheel sensor uses a reluctor wheel I'm guessing the sensor is a magnet. Maybe I'll get lucky and its just some debris on one of them.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
If you have the navigation screen, do the lines move with the steering wheel? When my steering wheel sensor went out those lines wouldn't move.
When it went out it was one trip of the message on a left hand 90° turn from a stop. Then a few weeks later it overreacted and did stupid stuff in the middle of a sweeping turn.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I finally had a chance to get my truck checked for DTC's as my reader and my AutoCal didn't show any. I show a C0292 Lost Communications with Engine Control System. I do not understand why this code is showing a Service Stabilitrak message. Only other code shown in history is a glow plug code I know about...waiting to change all 8 for the fix for it.

I did change tunes right before this message came up. The changing tunes went fine as far as I can tell and there weren't any errors shown. Any ideas on what to do to correct this? Should I contact my tuner?

edit: The above meaning for the C0292 I got from here. I read the reader again and it says: VSES Combination Sensor Circuit Voltage Above Threshold.

Last edited:

scramHD

Aug 24, 2008
Tx / MS / AL / MEX / FL
Check for loose ground somewhere. Follow ecm ground. Follow abs module ground. Under hood check on firewall drivers side. Check ground on frame rail under drivers seat and an engine ground on drivers side. If all is good and clean with good contact and none loose try going back to another tune. Regardless, if its the tune contact tuner. Also check ground for license plate light rear bumper. I have documents saved for the electrical pathways in and out of all the control modules and plugs if you need them I can search for them and send them to you. You can find the bad ground or short this way also.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
Thanks for the reply...I had given up on help from here.

I have been researching this C0292 VSES Combination Sensor Circuit Voltage Above Threshold DTC (this info came off of the Bosch code reader I borrowed from O'Reilly) and it keeps coming up check the Yaw Rate Sensor to see if it is good or the check EBCM to see if it has the right calibration in it.

The "Lost Communications with Engine Control System" is what the C0292 shows on a code list I found here. I emailed Kory but havn't seen a reply back from him yet. The tune change went smooth.

I will look around at what grounds I can find. I haven't done any work on this truck other than I had the dash cover replaced for the cracking that GM didn't think deserved a recall last fall and like I said the truck has ran fine and still does (except for the smokey tunes) it just seems odd that after an engine oil and trans oil and filter change this happens.

I haven't found a pin readout for the yaw sensor or I would have checked it this weekend.

Edit: I looked again at the DTC list on here and it shows the "Lost Communications with Engine Control System" as being set by the EBCM not the Engine Control Module so I guess the tune change and the other maintenance I did recently didn't effect this.

Last edited:

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I've gotten a p0606 which is a "lost communication with ecm" code if I hammer on it. I clear it and keep running.

How new are your batteries? Did you load test them? It's just an idea. I can see that causing an issue with a "service stabilitrak" message plus I usually get 7 years out of ACDelco batteries.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
My batteries aren't very old. I looked at the terminals the day the message appeared. I have a tester at work I can check them tomorrow.
I'm leaning towards it being a wiring issue maybe a dirty ground somewhere. Tomorrow I'm gonna try to find the EBCM and look at it.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
Update:
I looked for prints or troubleshooting for this truck online but couldn't find anything so I took the truck to a local shop to have them scan the truck. They said that the Yaw Rate Sensor was bad and ordered one. I will take it in tomorrow for them to replace it. Hopefully that is the problem.

sawyermccool

Jan 17, 2020
Did this end up being the problem? Ive been having the same problems on my 2011 GMC Sierra Denali HD. without anyone being able to find what it is. I also had to get a breathalyzer installed on my truck that i had to blow into before being able to crank my truck and wondering if something wasnt connected back correctly when getting it taken off.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
Did this end up being the problem? Ive been having the same problems on my 2011 GMC Sierra Denali HD. without anyone being able to find what it is. I also had to get a breathalyzer installed on my truck that i had to blow into before being able to crank my truck and wondering if something wasnt connected back correctly when getting it taken off.

Sorry for the late reply, I don't get on here as much as before.

No the yaw sensor didn't fix the problem. The shop put it on but said the code came right back. Their shop scanner was out for repair so they just changed it to see if it fixed it. They took it back off and suggested I try another shop. Took it to the other shop and they said the ABS module was bad and it would take 3 weeks to get and $800. I took my truck back and after a few weeks the light went out and now it only comes on rarely and when it does it goes out after a couple of days. Sorry I'm not much help.