Sand blaster!!!

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Hello Gentlemen....

I’m in my favorite part of tool buying which means I paid off my box and sockets and now I want bigger tools. I know Northern Tool is pretty consistent with a descent selection however I haven’t used any of the brands I’m looking at. My current sandblaster is sh*t, I bought it in UT for cheap and that’s what I got....cheap. But I was starting a business on a budget so hey, sum-b paid for itself faster.

I want a new sandblaster clearly but I want it contained with a vacuum and circulating hopper. They are somewhere in the ball park of 1000-1400 for an Eastwood or Allsource or even Redline standing cabinet. Standing is key because I’m gonna weld up a caster cart under the cabinet so I can move it around my shop. I don’t care if it’s pedal driven TBH. I just don’t want to pay good American dollars for something that’s gonna fill my shop up with Silica dust or be a POS in a long run.
Here is an example of what I’ve been looking at.
https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200347897_200347897

If anyone has any input on which brand and or model please please say so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
how big of a cabinet you want? My dad use a harbor freight one all the time and has provisions for a shop vac to hook to. just dont get a bunch of grease chunks in there or it plugs up the recirc of the hopper. We use a 60 grit silica thats demagged (stuff we use in caulking so he just takes a few bags home if needed). only bad thing is the size of the cabinet can be an issue.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Big enough to fit a wheel inside.
I’ve seen the harbor freight ones and the cabinets look good. It’s the vac and blaster system that I’m most concerned with

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Has anyone experimented with difference media? Like for instance I do a lot of plastics (ABS) I fear that my Aircraft stripper with ruin a rifle stock one day while I’m attempting to remove manufactured paint or patterns, I also do a boat load of aluminum as well. I haven’t had to replace someone’s stuff yet but as a worse case scenario trial I guinea pigged a bow limb and my “plastic safe” media from a local retailer carved right in.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Pressure and media type will affect what it does.
At work they need to use a real fine media and low pressure to get more of a cleaning effect.

I forget what is used and the pressure. I will have to look next time I'm in the shop.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I can't say how it would be with plastic or wood, but I've used baking soda as blast media. It's worked pretty well for me on everything I've cleaned - Aluminum, steel, etc. Harbor Freight carries several different levels of coarseness.