LML S400 compounds

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Looking for some real world experience to size a fixed vane compound setup.

Current setup is a 68 vgt over a 488sxe. Haven’t had the best luck with VGTs, I’m wanting to get away from them. I’d prefer to keep the 488 I’ve currently got, just need to figure out what will play well over it. Not concerned about drivability, I only drive the truck weekends, just a fun street truck that I want to run at the track and drags from time to time. Not a purpose built truck.

I know one of the Coker guys used to have a 369/488 setup, then switched it up to a 472/491 and liked it better, IIRC. How big of a difference in drivability, and power?

Leaning towards a 467, but would like to hear what other have run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I tried a s472/s488 this spring and hated it. Ran hot and the lag sucked. Went back to triples and never looked back. Depending on your power goals a s369/s484 set up is super fun on the street. Richard Coker has down syndrome. :)

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
what fuel did you have with the 472, ne-max?

Really not wanting to go to triples.

Had to many vgt issues to ever get the previous setup on a dyno.

Last edited:

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
As much as I would like to try triples, the compounds serve their purpose well. Luke is just mad because we still have A/C.

The 369/488 setup spooled decent but definately choked in high RPM's. The 472/87/1.0 in the valley is a little more lag but absolutely rips in the high RPM's. Going from an undivided gated pedestal on the 369/488 to a divided pedistal on the 472/491 helped a ton and lag was a minimal change. Going from an R to a J converter helped drivability quite a bit on the street. Surprisingly, even at high elevations, the 472/491 does well.

Since you already have the 488, assuming a 96/1.32, throw a 467/83/.90 on it and never look back. If you want to push it further, step up to an 87 turbine. You will notice a tad bit better spool depending on elevation with the 83 turbine but the 87 will flow more and make more HP in the higher RPM's. Just depends on what your goals are.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
I’ve got a heavy foot. that was probably my issue with VGTs, I like WOT way too much, lol. The main reason I wanted to go to a S4xx in the valley was to keep from choking it. Like I said, a little lag doesn’t bother me. I’ll probably go with the 467 like I had originally planned, with an 87 turbine.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
As much as I would like to try triples, the compounds serve their purpose well. Luke is just mad because we still have A/C.

The 369/488 setup spooled decent but definately choked in high RPM's. The 472/87/1.0 in the valley is a little more lag but absolutely rips in the high RPM's. Going from an undivided gated pedestal on the 369/488 to a divided pedistal on the 472/491 helped a ton and lag was a minimal change. Going from an R to a J converter helped drivability quite a bit on the street. Surprisingly, even at high elevations, the 472/491 does well.

Since you already have the 488, assuming a 96/1.32, throw a 467/83/.90 on it and never look back. If you want to push it further, step up to an 87 turbine. You will notice a tad bit better spool depending on elevation with the 83 turbine but the 87 will flow more and make more HP in the higher RPM's. Just depends on what your goals are.

I’ve got a heavy foot. that was probably my issue with VGTs, I like WOT way too much, lol. The main reason I wanted to go to a S4xx in the valley was to keep from choking it. Like I said, a little lag doesn’t bother me. I’ll probably go with the 467 like I had originally planned, with an 87 turbine.

I think Richard is spot on. If you want to reuse the 488 the best setup would be a S467 sized charger in the valley. If it is a toy I'd go with the 87 turbine but 83 vs 87 is personal choice.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
put the 467 on, mainly because i want to know how its drives since i have a 488 sitting on the shelf :roflmao:

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio

Well it seems this debate is settled Matt

Now order some parts

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
I think Richard is spot on. If you want to reuse the 488 the best setup would be a S467 sized charger in the valley. If it is a toy I'd go with the 87 turbine but 83 vs 87 is personal choice.

The truck literally doesn’t get driven except weekends, or to events.

put the 467 on, mainly because i want to know how its drives since i have a 488 sitting on the shelf :roflmao:

Appreciate ya lookin our for me like that.

Probably be late winter, early spring till I get it back together. Had some other things to do this winter, might as well knock them out while the turbos are off.

I was already pretty much set on a 467, looks like I just need to pony up now and move on it. I had always wanted to use one of Waglers street intakes, but didn’t because of the vgt. Might be a good time to go to a twisted pedal now to make it work.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
FWIW, Jose at forced inductions steered me away from pairing an 87mm turbine with a 67mm compressor on a project we were working on last year. He said they were seeing too many thrust bearing failures with that combination. I’m guessing the turbine is overdriving the smaller compressor wheel. He recommended sticking to the 83mm turbine or the 72mm compressor if the bigger turbine was absolutely necessary.

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
FWIW, Jose at forced inductions steered me away from pairing an 87mm turbine with a 67mm compressor on a project we were working on last year. He said they were seeing too many thrust bearing failures with that combination. I’m guessing the turbine is overdriving the smaller compressor wheel. He recommended sticking to the 83mm turbine or the 72mm compressor if the bigger turbine was absolutely necessary.
I would think the thrust wear is more of a concern on single charger applications rather than compounds.

Feb 7, 2018
West Central Illinois
I have a close friend who has s468 with a s484 over it. 100%'s and dual pumps.

Literally spools and drives phenomenally, if I were to try build a high hp street truck with good manners that is the route or close to the route I'd go!!

Any other questions let me know

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

Literally spools and drives phenomenally, if I were to try build a high hp street truck with good manners that is the route or close to the route I'd go!!

I always wanted to twin my 464 with a 480 on my z with 60 overs. By the sounds of it it would have been a nice setup.

Feb 7, 2018
West Central Illinois
I always wanted to twin my 464 with a 480 on my z with 60 overs. By the sounds of it it would have been a nice setup.

Very much so the s400 frame will handle higher rpm better but of course being only a 464 it would have it's limitations but a 480 of some sort would've been very fun.

Can't get over how quiet the kit is either. True sleeper status

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
I’ll be making some phone calls yet, I’ll have a word with them on turbines, and see what they say. Like I said, I like high rpm’s, and that was the main reason I’m wanting to stay away from the 300 frame. From the way it sounds, I’d be happy with a 467. How much would I be gaining going to a 472? I know spool would be affected some, but I could handle that if there is enough of a gain.

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
I don't think you will gain anything stepping up to a 72mm compressor with the 88mm, just a tad more lag. A compound setup should not see the same shaft speeds on the valley charger as it would as a single charger. Which is why we see more failure on singles.

Last edited:

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
I’ll be making some phone calls yet, I’ll have a word with them on turbines, and see what they say. Like I said, I like high rpm’s, and that was the main reason I’m wanting to stay away from the 300 frame. From the way it sounds, I’d be happy with a 467. How much would I be gaining going to a 472? I know spool would be affected some, but I could handle that if there is enough of a gain.

You will enjoy the 67.7 under the 88 Matt. Be nice to drop the blade count to at least 7 in that s488 assuming it’s still the 10 blade. I honestly like the s485 5 blade from SD vs the 488sxe. I haven’t been much of a fan of the 10 blade pushing 1k. On another note sounds fun to dial in :hug:

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV

Whats the turbine specs on his valley charger?