s364.5sxe review

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Ive had Mark's 3794 for about 4years now. Its been a great little charger, but I wanted to try a fixed vane. I went with WCfab's kit (s364.5sxe x 73mm .91ar), and have only drove it about 75miles or so.

The kit fits very nicely. I wish they would have sent some directions along to simply speed the process up a bit. However, though time consuming, it went fairly smooth.

The first thing I noticed while cruising at 67mph is how free the truck felt. Guys with VGT chargers know that feeling when the vanes are at a higher % and it has a choke effect on the engine. I made my tunes run very little cruising boost for that reason, and mpg went up from it etc.. This charger has the feel of a VGT with the vanes open at 0%, yet carries 2-3psi of boost! My egts are down 50-75* cruising and on average my calculated fuel rate seems to be lower by 3-5mm3. I'm guessing my mpgs will be better, but time will tell. The sound is so amazing. I loved the vgt whistle, but the growl and snort the fixed vanes has is unlike anything else. I have a 1074 from Evan, which he normally says is a no-go for fixed vane chargers, but it lights surprisingly well from a stop. I did change my pedal to torque tables a bit to raise my shift points, and that seemed to do it some justice. I actually had to take some out originally because it lit better than expected. I can even make almost 2psi of boost at 1300rpm's cruising. It definitely doesn't spool like the vgt, but I'm very impressed. Cruising at 2000rpms I was seeing 3-4psi, and the charger seemed very responsive. I'm thinking this turbo should tow pretty dang well. Below 1800rpms might be interesting, but I bet it is doable. I'll be towing my 15k trailer in the next week or two, so I'll get an idea of how efficient this charger is under 1800rpms towing.

I can't stress enough how effortless it now cruises. EGTs are around 580-630* on flat road at 67mph and barely breaks 700* over moderate hills. My vgt hung around 670+ almost all the time at the speed and saw much higher egt spikes over hills. Not saying my boost tables were spot on, but I've had 3 years of playing with it so I wouldnt think I was that far off. If anyone is on the fence getting a fixed vane, dont be! Its expensive, but if you have the cash it is well worth it.

When I get concrete data I'll report back.

Last edited:

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
I agree its really fun to drive! The only thing Im puzzled on is it seems that the ECm isnt controlling fuel at all. I can be at 1200rpms, under 100gs with the maf, and if I lay into it I go right to 100mm3+. It is a smoke show. I raised my fuel mixture ALOT and it made zero difference. SO, I'm going to rescale my MAF table next, if that doesnt respond at all Ill be at a loss on what to do besides pull fuel in areas that would be considered "under boost areas". Which sucks, because then if you do get to full boost in those areas, you have less power.. I guess I'll have to see what happens!

On a serious note, even though a looser converter may be a bit better for this setup to spool/drive. The 1074 works pretty dang good! Hopefully Evan sees this.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I agree its really fun to drive! The only thing Im puzzled on is it seems that the ECm isnt controlling fuel at all. I can be at 1200rpms, under 100gs with the maf, and if I lay into it I go right to 100mm3+. It is a smoke show. I raised my fuel mixture ALOT and it made zero difference. SO, I'm going to rescale my MAF table next, if that doesnt respond at all Ill be at a loss on what to do besides pull fuel in areas that would be considered "under boost areas". Which sucks, because then if you do get to full boost in those areas, you have less power.. I guess I'll have to see what happens!

On a serious note, even though a looser converter may be a bit better for this setup to spool/drive. The 1074 works pretty dang good! Hopefully Evan sees this.

I’m no expert at this, but a 364.5 isn’t a very big turbo to spool at all even on stock fuel. Can’t imagine needing a very loose converter for it like a 472 would need. Maybe someone else will chime in, just caught my attention.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
I asked Evan a few years ago about this converter with an s300 charger and he said it was a hard no. I however think it drives pretty good. And yes, it isnt a very big charger, but just chiming in and saying how nice it lights coming from a small VGT that spools very quick. I thought I was going to really dislike the lag, but its pretty dang good!

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA

The problem is if you tried to brake stall and make any boost with any frequency you’d burn the converter up in a hurry from it being too tight. Just driving around it should work ok but you’re still giving up having a better driving/performing truck being too tight then you would with the right converter. You can drive around with a s400 with a 1074 and have it drive ok it’s just not what best which is what someone spending big money on a converter is looking for so it would never be sold or suggested for the application.

Last edited:

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Did you ever figure out what turbine it had there is a 73/80 and 68/76 these are rounded numbers?

Edit
:hmm: Guess I need to wake up you put it in the first post :D

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
I'm pretty happy with this setup. I hate mushy converters for driving around. I dont race soooo theres really no need to be able to brake stall multiple times etc. I think my converter could be freed up some, but it's not worth it..

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm pretty happy with this setup. I hate mushy converters for driving around. I dont race soooo theres really no need to be able to brake stall multiple times etc. I think my converter could be freed up some, but it's not worth it..

It is totally worth it. Trust me. A good converter can stall higher and still couple well enough to pull trailers and daily drive. It's pretty amazing what the converter companies can do now with the options they have. Since you already have a converter from Evan, I would talk to him and see what he can have Suncoast do to loosen it up a touch. I bet he could recommend something that would make you really happy.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

It is totally worth it. Trust me. A good converter can stall higher and still couple well enough to pull trailers and daily drive. It's pretty amazing what the converter companies can do now with the options they have. Since you already have a converter from Evan, I would talk to him and see what he can have Suncoast do to loosen it up a touch. I bet he could recommend something that would make you really happy.

Like Josh said, a loser converter doesn't mean a mushy/useless converter. There are many out there from various manufacturer's that will stall where your 364.5 needs to be BUT also couple very very well.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Sorry, let me rephrase.. When I say it isn't worth it, I mean the cost for me to have it done isn't worth it to me. If I had money just laying around I'd probably have it done. Hence why I'm pretty happy with what I have, I was honestly expecting it to be far worse than it is.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Towed my enclosed trailer tonight. What a difference! Egts are on average 100deg cooler, and there is zero lag. I was even able to pull 6th gear (1525rpms...ish)at 65 and have 5 to 6psi boost cruising with egts around 900deg! It's way more responsive in the lower rpms towing than I expected. You can tell the truck labors more down there of course, but egts stay in check and it has plenty of power. It's kind of crazy, my 3794 could pull in 6th but I never imagined I'd be able to do it with this turbo. It picks up boost nearly as quick as the 3794 in this rpm range! It really is unbelievable. My dic mpg was much better than my 3794 towing the trailer also. Normally my dic would settle around 11-12, and today was nearing 14.5. I'm pretty impressed so far!