Question: Russell brake line differences (are there any over the years)?

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
I bought a set of Russell line from DMaxstore (great vendor by the way). Unfortunately they are closed and I would like to put these on ASAP if possible and have a question.

I did not notice, but on their site they have seperate listings for LB7, LLY, and LBZ

I have an 06, but the lines state for 01-03. I did not think there were any differences in the lines, but before I install them and can't return them, wondering if anyone has seen this?

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• IMAG0199.jpg
    IMAG0199.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMAG0198.jpg
    IMAG0198.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 33

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
You'll be good. They are the same. Unfortunately though I burst one on my dad's truck a couple months ago and it caused an accident. The front lines rubbed on the control arm long enough to wear too thin. The nylon sleeving on the front lines are also badly yellowed and cracking. He bought them only 4 years ago and have roughly 80k miles on them.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Thanks Tim,

And I'll make sure to keep a good eye on the routing.

I'm hoping to do the brakes tomorrow morning.

After this weekends pull I have a box of Cognito Upper control arms (with Moog joints), Moog lower ball joints, Moog Steering Arm, Moog Idler arm, and Kryptonite Idler arm brace/pivot to install.

I don't think the front end is "bad" but it is starting to get a little loose after 125K (so much for the "Junk" IFS :D). Plus everything (including the Timken hubs I previously installed) is Lifetime warranty...

Any tips to make it go quicker? I heard the arms can sometimes be a PITA.

Woodster

Computer Nerd
Aug 28, 2009
Utah
Let us know how the install goes. I'll be doing the same thing as soon as my pads/rotors show up.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
The only difference is where the flexible lines(the RUSSEL line) connects to the hard line, the thread pitch is different from year to year. I got a set of russel brake lines in a brake upgrade kit and could not use them on my LBZ because of this, so I got a custom set of braided lines made, using the russel lines as an example, and yes they will rub on the control arm and wear, it can happen quick so check the position of the line soon after install.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
Thanks Tim,

And I'll make sure to keep a good eye on the routing.

I'm hoping to do the brakes tomorrow morning.

After this weekends pull I have a box of Cognito Upper control arms (with Moog joints), Moog lower ball joints, Moog Steering Arm, Moog Idler arm, and Kryptonite Idler arm brace/pivot to install.

I don't think the front end is "bad" but it is starting to get a little loose after 125K (so much for the "Junk" IFS :D). Plus everything (including the Timken hubs I previously installed) is Lifetime warranty...

Any tips to make it go quicker? I heard the arms can sometimes be a PITA.

The Cognito UCAs are pretty easy to install. just mark the eccentric washer so you get the alignment somewhat close while you drive to the alignment shop. Other than that a couple wrenches and a pickle fork are all you really need.

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK
Can you tell a difference with the braided lines compared to the factory lines? I've been wanting to get some because since I've had my 20s my pedal had been alot more spongy. Wondering if they stiffen it up any?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Can you tell a difference with the braided lines compared to the factory lines? I've been wanting to get some because since I've had my 20s my pedal had been alot more spongy. Wondering if they stiffen it up any?
I installed the Braided lines and cross drilled rotors amd noticed a goood difference the thing that made the most differemce was when we hooked up the Snap on Solos ultra and bleed the breakes by using the abs to bleed them.Now they are hard as a rock.

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010

when I put the SS lines and SSBC big bite kit on my white truck it made a huge difference! im about to do the same thing to my black lbz. well worth the money

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I installed the Braided lines and cross drilled rotors amd noticed a goood difference the thing that made the most differemce was when we hooked up the Snap on Solos ultra and bleed the breakes by using the abs to bleed them.Now they are hard as a rock.

I have not installed any brake upgrades to my truck, I had a shop flush/bleed the system a few months back, whatever he used the brakes are 100% better. These ABS systems need to be flushed and are rather expensive to replace and the cost to flush every 2 years is cheap insurance for me.

trashygasman

Slowly but Surely
Dec 18, 2008
Washington, OK

Thanks. Maybe I need to go to my buddies shop and bleed them. Now that I think about it, I bought a cheap bleeder from harbor freight a couple yrs ago and that was around the same time I got wheels. There probably is still some air in there.