LB7: rpm gauge

02ilduramax

Jun 21, 2011
fulton,illinois
I recently rebuilt my first Duramax engine thanks to the knowledge from everyone here. I got the truck running today it starts great and seems to run fine but I seem to be having an issue with the Rpm gauge one it is started the gauge doesn't move at all if I tap the throttle the gauge will jump and seems to jump to the correct spot im not sure where to start diagnosing this I have also had an issue with a couple of the gauges not working(which happened before the engine was pulled) but if I plug in my scan tool to the obd port all the gauges work and operate as they should.(ground or power issue?)

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Certainly sounds instrument cluster related to me. Does everything else work, truck runs, drives and shift correctly?

If so something's up with the IC connections or needs rebuild as listed above.

Sent from a reclined position using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
01/02 clusters don't normally give much trouble, it was 03-05 that was problematic. You say if you plug in a scanner it works correctly, but messes up if you don't have it plugged in? I know 01/02 had alot of databus problems that caused weird issues from the abs module and/or the ground under the cab(behind drivers side tire at the cab mount). Edge juice modules also caused all kinds of problems.