Rolled my truck.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Ok guys long story short. I was heading down to a funeral in New Mexico then stopping at the grandcanyon to pick up my girls ride that broke down. Headed out after work and just outside kanab in Southern Utah it was dark and I had five horses run out in the road in front of me. Slammed the breaks fished tailed a few times and the third time the trailer pushed me around then of the road and I rolled. I came out fine but the truck not so much but not horrible either only rolled once.
Well I only had liability on the truck so no insurance help for me.
The owner of the horses is legally responsible for them being out but he's not wanting to help out so it looks like I'm going to have to take him to court. Which I've never done and can't afford to hire an attorney.
So till I figure that out I've been looking for cabs, doors, and beds. Questions
Is there a difference between the 1500s and the hds?
And do the electronics all play together?

Thanks for any help.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
First, thank God you're OK, and we're not talking about your funeral.

Second, sorry about the truck. Start looking on car-part.com for anything local.
While I think all the -800 cabs are the same structure-ly, there were some slight mounting differences for electronics and such between 99-02 and 03-07. Id try to stay 03-07 in your case. Heck, you could even find a sunroof cab now. Try to stay with doors from your cab style. IIRC there was something different about Regular and Xcab front doors, but its been so long..... Beds are all the same 6.5 and 8 foot.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
After a roll over with a trailer, have the frame checked very carefully.

Grills in the 1500's are shorter (no filler strip across the bottom).

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Air bags and the SDM or air bag module do not swap from 1500’s to HD’s. 1500’s are dual stage and HD are single stage. Cabs and doors are the same. Obvious cluster difference. Not sure if in the year ranges there was any changes to the frequency signal from the fobs (RCDLR).

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
After a roll over with a trailer, have the frame checked very carefully.

Grills in the 1500's are shorter (no filler strip across the bottom).
It will get checked. Luckily the trailer popped off the ball and it didn't take much damage.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Air bags and the SDM or air bag module do not swap from 1500’s to HD’s. 1500’s are dual stage and HD are single stage. Cabs and doors are the same. Obvious cluster difference. Not sure if in the year ranges there was any changes to the frequency signal from the fobs (RCDLR).
So is this something I can take out of my truck and put in the 1500 cab or ?

I'm heading today to go look at an 05 same year hopefully it'll work out. Same color to.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Anyone know if the front fenders and hood will work?
yes they will.

The frame and bumper brackets are the main difference between 1500 and 2500. The Sheetmetal is basically all the same. The only other thing would be the core support. The HD one is different.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
The 1500 cab uses smaller bolts for mounting. You will also need to drill another hole for the hydro boost to mount. Other than that they are the same. Front fenders are same as is the bed. front bumper has a taller top pad for the HD silverado. I would swap all your interior wiring.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Ok guys I've got an 05 4 door 1500 donor. The weather is finally starting to get nice so I'm looking back into this.
I'll take any thoughts or suggestions on swapping the cab.
Is there away around the airbag differences?
Any other suggestions on how to make this swap easy peasy?

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Ok guys I've got an 05 4 door 1500 donor. The weather is finally starting to get nice so I'm looking back into this.
I'll take any thoughts or suggestions on swapping the cab.
Is there away around the airbag differences?
Any other suggestions on how to make this swap easy peasy?
Use all the original dash. As for the bags get the hd versions unless the 1500 bags are the same in those years. If what you have are single stage then they will work. The easiest way is use everything possible from the original truck. Of course trim pieces and such doesn’t matter but anything electronic keep original.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The 2500 is single stage. The 1500 have a dual stage. The plugs are different between the 2.

The climate control stuff is also different from manual to digital. Including parts like the blower motor and resistor.

I would suggest pulling all the trim panels off carefully from your donner and swapping all the wiring over from the roll over.

The dash is the most intimidating part if you have never done it before. Remove all the plastic trim from it first including the glove box along with the Cluster, the Radio, The climate control unit, and the passenger Airbag. 7mm and some #2 Philips screws for all the trim and a deep 10 mm socket for the back side of the air bag.

With the upper dash cover off, remove the 10mm bolt's along the windshield holding the stamped steel reinforcement braces. There is also a ground stud on each side in the corner. Pull the nut and remove the ground attachment points too.

Then move down to the Steering column. ***It is important not to move the wheel too much when you remove the entire column. You don't want to break the clock spring.***

There is a steel cover just below it that has to be removed to gain some access. It has 4 -10mm nuts holding it in place. Remove the Steering joint at the base of the column. It's like a 12 or 13mm I think. There is a lower Stamped steel brace that attaches to column brace and the floor that's like a 13mm head on it. Pull that stamped steel brace completely. While your at it there is a brace to the right of that that is a black tubular brace. It goes between the floor and the reinforcement for the dash. Pull that off too. Now you can disconnect the wiring connector for the steering column. There is a main connection point and I think 1 or 2 smaller connectors that have to be disconnected. Then you should be able to drop the 2 nuts holding the column to the big cast brace. I believe they are like a 16mm or 17mm. With the exception of the shift cable which I remember having to twist the column around to get it off, I believe you can start pulling the column out. If there is something else in the way, just slide it back up on the 2 studs and put the nuts back in place with a couple turns to hold it temporarily. The whole dash harness comes through the fire wall in a large round grommet to the fuse box. Separate this from the fuse block and push the gourmet inside the cab. I think there is also a wire harness going to the wiper motor that needs to also be un plugged and pushed back into the firewall.

At the right and left side of the dash there is some plugs for the Door harness and other things like the ac unit that will all need to be un plugged. I think there is 4 squarish connectors that will either be Black, Brown, White, or Green plugs.

I can't recall if anything else needs to be pulled or loosened before removing the dash assemble with all the wiring. But when you are ready, There is 2- 15mm headed bolts bolts that you can not see on the top side of the dash on the driver side behind where the cluster would mount. It goes through that casting into the fire wall area. You want to get those first so your not fighting it later. Then there is 2- 15mm headed bolts on the left side and 3- 15mm beaded bolts on the right side.

Reactions: wydopenLb7

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Take pictures of EVERYTHING as you take it apart, and label all wiring connectors and bolts. It can be a confusing mess removing a dash, and if you wait at all between that and install, you will forget something. Been there.

Reactions: 2004LB7