Rim Backspacing

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Long story short. Some lowlifes truck that didn't belong on the road had a rotted leafspring and a big chunk of it fell off and layed in the road. Ya....I hit it, punched a hole in my rocker and smashed up the bottom of my box and blew out my tire. So now I think that I'm gonna get rims and tires tomorrow. I want 22" KMC Rockstars. Does anyone know what backspacing I need for a rim of this size. Not sure of the width but i think I'm gonna run a 305/45/22.

PS I have the chunk of leaf spring in the hopes I find the guy I can beat him senseless with it :angry5::nunck::violent:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Long story short. Some lowlifes truck that didn't belong on the road had a rotted leafspring and a big chunk of it fell off and layed in the road. Ya....I hit it, punched a hole in my rocker and smashed up the bottom of my box and blew out my tire. So now I think that I'm gonna get rims and tires tomorrow. I want 22" KMC Rockstars. Does anyone know what backspacing I need for a rim of this size. Not sure of the width but i think I'm gonna run a 305/45/22.

PS I have the chunk of leaf spring in the hopes I find the guy I can beat him senseless with it :angry5::nunck::violent:

That right there is some bad luck Paul:D

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Wow Paul! You just got served one giant cup of suck !!

I think you would need about a 5.5" to 5.75" BS to fit the 22's. But I am no big wheel expert-I only have little 18's on my truck with a 6" lift!!

serpa4

Feb 5, 2007
Getting some rock stars for mine in a couple months. I'm only going stock, 16 though, DRW thing.

Lennart

Not from here !
Aug 10, 2006
Detmold, Germany
I think they come with +10mm and -25mm offsets. Get the +10mm for the front, and use some spacers in the rear. Should work nicely on a levelled truck.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
OK, I was gonna go with a 305/40/22...since i can get tires for $140 each, but rockstars are on back order. I found a nice pro-comp wheel but its gonna take 2 weeks to get it in a 22, but they can have a 20 tomorrow. I guess my question is what size tire would I want to run on a 20. I want something that is between 31.5-33" tall, since all I have done is cranked t-bars.

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
OK, I was gonna go with a 305/40/22...since i can get tires for $140 each, but rockstars are on back order. I found a nice pro-comp wheel but its gonna take 2 weeks to get it in a 22, but they can have a 20 tomorrow. I guess my question is what size tire would I want to run on a 20. I want something that is between 31.5-33" tall, since all I have done is cranked t-bars.

34" is easy with a little trimming :D, Curious, why such a large rim, wouldn't it make for a rougher ride than say an 18" rim. :confused:

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
34" is easy with a little trimming :D, Curious, why such a large rim, wouldn't it make for a rougher ride than say an 18" rim. :confused:

Original plan was 22 rockstars with 31.5 street tires, lower the truck a few inches, SS bumper and that kind of stuff. Dont get me wrong I dont want a lowrider but was thinking of turbing it into a 4x4 street truck. I did a little looking and a 305/50/22 is 32". Thought about getting the 20s for winter rims and 22s for the summer. Also, belive it or not I can get 20 and 22" tires for less then 17s and 18s. Don't know why that is, but I get the tires from a wholesalers through my buddy, so I know the price is not getting marked up...305/50/20s are going to cost me just over $100 each out the door :eek:

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I'll get some pics when I get the wheels. I'm not gonna do the bumper for at least a few months and lower it as well.

Last edited:

Lennart

Not from here !
Aug 10, 2006
Detmold, Germany
Original plan was 22 rockstars with 31.5 street tires, lower the truck a few inches, SS bumper and that kind of stuff. Dont get me wrong I dont want a lowrider but was thinking of turbing it into a 4x4 street truck. I did a little looking and a 305/50/22 is 32". Thought about getting the 20s for winter rims and 22s for the summer. Also, belive it or not I can get 20 and 22" tires for less then 17s and 18s. Don't know why that is, but I get the tires from a wholesalers through my buddy, so I know the price is not getting marked up...305/50/20s are going to cost me just over $100 each out the door :eek:

Same plans here! Wheels will be Weld Slingblade 8 22x9.5 with 305/40R22 tires.
Drop spindles and Maxx-Keys up front and shackles and hangers in the rear will get me down to earth.
Was thinking about the Rockstar or Monster as well but if you want to go low I am not sure if the backspace is sufficient. If I would not have gotten the Welds, my #1 choice would have been the KMC Backseat. Probably the only affordable wheel with the right backspacing.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
The rims I am looking at getting for right now are 20 x 9.5 and they have 5" backspacing.....will they work? I'm going with a 305/50/20 tire. I don't want them sticking out past the fenders.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Just got off the phone with pro comp, and according to him the edge of the wheel on the front will be even with the flare, so then the tire will stick out.....this is no good. I Don't want the truck to look like it has hydrolics on it :rofl: Anyway, does anyone know of a fair priced wheel that will fit right and is black? My guess is if that wheel had a 5" offset, I need something like a 6.5" or 7"....but I don't know if that will put it sooo far in that it will hit or rub stuff on the inside.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I think they come with +10mm and -25mm offsets. Get the +10mm for the front, and use some spacers in the rear. Should work nicely on a levelled truck.

This is the offset, not the backspacing. From what I understand offset is just for brake caliper clearence, doesn't effect where the wheel sets. I know that the rockstars fir well, but can't seem to find out what the backspacing on them is....does anyone know?

Lennart

Not from here !
Aug 10, 2006
Detmold, Germany
The KMC Backseat is available in black and stainless. It comes with in a 22x10 with +12mm offset (5.97" BS)
The KMC Rockstar comes in a 22x9.5 with +12mm or +38mm offset.
Offset is another way of measuring backspace. 0mm is when the
wheel is centered, while a positive offset will move the wheel in and a negative out.
IIRC offset is what is exclusively used in Europe and is gaining popularity in the US, which uses backspace mostly.
The backspace will vary with the width of the rim, offset does not.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
The KMC Backseat is available in black and stainless. It comes with in a 22x10 with +12mm offset (5.97" BS)
The KMC Rockstar comes in a 22x9.5 with +12mm or +38mm offset.
Offset is another way of measuring backspace. 0mm is when the
wheel is centered, while a positive offset will move the wheel in and a negative out.
IIRC offset is what is exclusively used in Europe and is gaining popularity in the US, which uses backspace mostly.
The backspace will vary with the width of the rim, offset does not.

Oops, sorry, from what I read I thought that offset was the difference from the face of where is bolts up to the back of the spokes, for clearence for brakes, but now I see. Still though why can't they keep all the measurement in american standard, or make them all metric, this mix and match sh*t has got to go :rofl: Now I had to break out the calc and the 2.54 conversion :eek:

PS I'm going to pick up american racing rims 16x8 that are tefflon coated with 285 M/T MTZ's

At the least they should make a nice winter rim and tire combo

Last edited: