Replacing crank pin

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
What's best method of removing the pin? This one isn't sheared, just looks like someone tried driving balancer around it and took edge off.

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
I'm talking factory replacement. I don't have 3 days to try and drill the crank with a hand drill

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
Where do you find a drill bit good enough to drill the crank? I bought the kit along with 7 extra pins. But the first one I tried the bit was a turd

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I've used std home depot bits before. It's not hardened at the snout. I have a full set of HSS bits now that rock for stainless stuff but they are not needed for drilling the crank

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
One that came with your kit, drilled for an hour and only got like 1/4" hole. Gave up and replaced factory pin

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
So you killed the bit? Cutting oil and let the bit do the work.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
Pb blaster, I'm not a machinist. If a certain cutting oil is recommended shouldn't it be listed in the directions?

Also you all have de railed my thread. I asked how to remove the factory pin.

EDP

<<<< Miss The Ol Girl
Pb blaster, I'm not a machinist. If a certain cutting oil is recommended shouldn't it be listed in the directions?

Also you all have de railed my thread. I asked how to remove the factory pin.

Sorry to DE-Rail your thread I am just here to lend a helping hand.

The directions you should have got with the kit state to use a cutting oil. PB Blaster is not a cutting oil or drilling lubrication. It is a penetrating lubricant. Using WD, PB, or Trans Gel will not allow the drill bit to do its work sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Again I apologize for the derail of your thread if you would like you may get a hold of us and we will issue an RMA # and refund your money if all is still in good condition other then the drill bit. :thumb:

Attachments

• Duramax Crank Pin Kit.doc
    532.8 KB · Views: 41

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
Sorry to DE-Rail your thread I am just here to lend a helping hand.

The directions you should have got with the kit state to use a cutting oil. PB Blaster is not a cutting oil or drilling lubrication. It is a penetrating lubricant. Using WD, PB, or Trans Gel will not allow the drill bit to do its work sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Again I apologize for the derail of your thread if you would like you may get a hold of us and we will issue an RMA # and refund your money if all is still in good condition other then the drill bit. :thumb:

Thanks, but I'm not worried about the money. I just wanted to see what all everyone does to remove the factory crank pin. Because using your kit or not the pin has to be removed when damaged.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
If i cant get it out with a little heat from a propane torch and vicegrips, I just let the machine shop take care of it. Better yet just have them pull the gear and keyway the crank.

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
I've just used side cutters too pull them out. If sheared off I have been able too drill and hammer a torx bit into the pin. Spin the pin then usually they pull up and out fairly easily. I've had too do this when people have spun balancers.