Replaced Stepper Motors...still no Speedo?

JayhawkLB7

May 22, 2020
Hey all. So recently my speedo started dropping to 0 at random and I had 3 lights burned out in the gauge cluster. Decided to do all of it at once and while at it, wanted to match all the other button-components with red LED's (4wd cluster, light cluster, cargo/fog buttons, door buttons on both panels, and heater control). I ran into a few problems - and I'm updating as I got some of the other's taken care of.

1) All Stepper motors fired right up except the Speedo. It slowly walked up to 120mph, and then stayed there. Swapped the motor out with another one (all X27 168's) and it did the same thing. Any ideas here? I've looked at every joint around my solders and it doesn't look like I'm crossing over one, and I don't see any burn-out areas. I'm at a loss here and don't want to keep doing this over and over again.

2) when getting all the button things out - I noticed I couldn't get to the back of the circuit board in the 4wd housing. I could get it all apart but it looks like the pins are driving through the backing...and the LED's actually get soldered in from behind. Any idea how to get this open without breaking it? Am I missing something or do I just need to worry less and give it a tug?

Last edited:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Well, Assuming this is an 03-04 truck since your name suggest LB7 and the earlier ones use a different type of stepper.

Look close at the board where the main connector comes through and is soldered. Some of the joints could have cracked or had a cold solder joint.

Do you have any type of Diagnostic tool that will allow you to sweep the gauges to test them? the Tech2 is real handy for this.

JayhawkLB7

May 22, 2020
Well, Assuming this is an 03-04 truck since your name suggest LB7 and the earlier ones use a different type of stepper.

Look close at the board where the main connector comes through and is soldered. Some of the joints could have cracked or had a cold solder joint.

Do you have any type of Diagnostic tool that will allow you to sweep the gauges to test them? the Tech2 is real handy for this.
Oh, it looks like my signature isn't there anymore. I'll take care of that. Yes it's an 04, one of the last off the LB7 line.

I have a basic OBD tool and we'll plug it in today to make sure it's seeing speed correctly but I don't know about it's capability to do anything else. I will look into that, and pull it back out this weekend and take a look at all the solder.