Replaced DEF Heater - Reductant System Malfunction Level 5

DuramaxMTBzn

Jun 25, 2020
2012 duramax 6.6l 3500hd

As title states, I replaced my DEF Heater recently. Everything seems to be working fine except I cannot clear the Reductant System Malfunction issue. I went to run the reset using my Launch X-431 and the truck simply sits at idle, should the truck elevate in rpm like some of the other tests cause it to do such as the DEF Quality Test?

If anyone has any idea on how to trouble shoot this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
You'll need to go through the glow plug control module and manually command each DEF heater (should be 3)to run for at least 15 seconds. This way the system can see the new amp draw and qualify the system is ok per se

DuramaxMTBzn

Jun 25, 2020
Ya.. so thats where the X-431 looks like its going to let me down.. When I go to those and turn them on it tells me "Out of range, Wrong vehicle?" Yet.. I let it select 2012 duramax 3500 etc off the vin.

DuramaxMTBzn

Jun 25, 2020
So I went ahead and ran this through a Fluid Quality Test. It ran through it and actually it must have turned the heaters on long enough to clear the warning level 5 tamper I saw on the diagnostic tool. I no longer have a DEF Service light on.. BUT.. it reset the count down to limp mode.. no DEF Light.. its back to X miles until first reduced speed.

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
Then it didn't test a certain element in the aftertreatment system.

Did it complete a recent cycle? Normally during a fluid quality test it will.

Is there any further pending codes ?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
A Reductant System Malfunction Service Bay Test is required when the Service Emission System message or Service Exhaust System message is displayed on the driver information center (DIC). Not sure what scan tool you have but this is the test I run to clear the messages after replacing a DEF heater.

DuramaxMTBzn

Jun 25, 2020
@DPC Thanks for the response. I am using a launch X431. When I go into the test it gives me a reset option and tells me the truck needs to be on and could take as long as 20 mins. I hit ok.. click reset and the truck simply idles. Is this to be expected?

DPC

Jan 2, 2012
Adams, TN
No, it should go into a high idle mode and all you warning indicators should go off. Don't touch anything during the test (brake or gas pedal) and vehicle must be at operating temp.