Renewable diesel?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Has anyone seen this? I know nothing other than I just saw it.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Any company that uses the term 'fossil diesel' really should think about it. Diesel made from vegetable oil and animal fat is nothing new, and there is no way it could be produced on the same scale 'fossil diesel' is lol. I wouldn't run that stuff with the injectors we run.

Fossil diesel LOL

Reactions: 1TRIKHD and 2004LB7

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I can't take any company seriously that just barfs trendy feel good words. I'd look into more then the main page, but I don't need their cookies...

Nothing wrong with bio diesel it's great. Not sure it's practical on a mass scale. Sucks in the winter though.

I've ran B100 quite a bit since we have available here. Since my truck isn't a daily now though I haven't ran it in years. As far as I know most the stuff at the pumps is B10.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Has anyone seen this? I know nothing other than I just saw it.

Haven’t heard about that but certain stations in California are using renewable diesel. Less smoke and you get better mileage if you mix it 50/50 with regular diesel. Cetane rating is higher but energy content is lower just like biodiesel.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Haven’t heard about that but certain stations in California are using renewable diesel. Less smoke and you get better mileage if you mix it 50/50 with regular diesel. Cetane rating is higher but energy content is lower just like biodiesel.
I have a few of those propel stations near me that sell it. price used to be competitive but are now no better then dino diesel. I've yet to see any improvement in MPG but I've seen a drop when using it. mixed or not it wasn't worth it to me.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I have a few of those propel stations near me that sell it. price used to be competitive but are now no better then dino diesel. I've yet to see any improvement in MPG but I've seen a drop when using it. mixed or not it wasn't worth it to me.
I noticed on normal trucks it’s worse mpg and performance. But anything with big injectors it’s very apparent.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I noticed on normal trucks it’s worse mpg and performance. But anything with big injectors it’s very apparent.
I've got larger injectors in my TDI but they are probably still smaller then even my stock Duramax injectors. 😁

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I've got larger injectors in my TDI but they are probably still smaller then even my stock Duramax injectors. 😁
You didn’t get better mileage with a 50/50 blend? I would drive to sac all the time to get a 55 gallon drum of propel 🤣

shakenfake

Moron
Sep 15, 2022
Shlumpt, TX
I had a neighbor with a Mercedes 300TE maybe, gosh that was so long ago I can't even remember, it was a diesel that he converted to "renewable diesel"
His trick was to go to McDonalds and other fast food joints and take their waste and just run it off that. He drove that car for years. I seem to recall that he only quit driving it because there were parts that you just couldn't find anymore. I think he junked it.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i use to run 50/50 engine oil/diesel in my 02. helped i worked at a shop back then so i could monitor the used oil. used a 10 micron filter to pump it out of the tank into my truck after filling it 1/2 way with diesel. never had an issue. now trying to run atf and diesel, that wound up killing injectors in a heart beat.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
i use to run 50/50 engine oil/diesel in my 02. helped i worked at a shop back then so i could monitor the used oil. used a 10 micron filter to pump it out of the tank into my truck after filling it 1/2 way with diesel. never had an issue. now trying to run atf and diesel, that wound up killing injectors in a heart beat.
Do you think it is the detergents in the ATF that destroys the injector? My thought is that maybe its acting like a solvent and reducing the normal lubricity in the fuel...

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I ran about three drums worth of ATF in my truck. thinned it a little with regular unleaded, maybe 5-10% and filtered through my centrifuge and some whole house water filters. ran pretty good. very much like diesel. truck still runs great with the same injectors years later. I'd do it again if I can find a source of ATF

I also ran a drum of used hydraulic oil. took a little more thinning but also worked well

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Do you think it is the detergents in the ATF that destroys the injector? My thought is that maybe its acting like a solvent and reducing the normal lubricity in the fuel...

thats what i was figuring. i got 10k out of it before injectors started dropping like flies. I monitored balance rates like a hawk back then because of the 50/50 engine oil and diesel i was running. after about 4k on atf, they started climbing away from 0.

maybe the injectors were just on their way out and it was coincidence that i swapped fuel at that point but no way ill try it again. I know 7.3 and 12v cummins guys swear its no issue but they also run different injection systems.

this was all on LB7 stuff before i went to LLY

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
thats what i was figuring. i got 10k out of it before injectors started dropping like flies. I monitored balance rates like a hawk back then because of the 50/50 engine oil and diesel i was running. after about 4k on atf, they started climbing away from 0.

maybe the injectors were just on their way out and it was coincidence that i swapped fuel at that point but no way ill try it again. I know 7.3 and 12v cummins guys swear its no issue but they also run different injection systems.

this was all on LB7 stuff before i went to LLY
Interesting!!!

MGKelly

Jan 13, 2023
Oregon
I have had many owner operator log truck drivers say to add 1 Gallon ATF to 100 gallons diesel to keep injectors clean in their log trucks and Ford, Dodge and GM pickups

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I have had many owner operator log truck drivers say to add 1 Gallon ATF to 100 gallons diesel to keep injectors clean in their log trucks and Ford, Dodge and GM pickups
i can see it on the pre-common rail stuff. like i was saying above, 7.3 guys ran atf and even the old p-pump or ve pump cummins guys had no issue with it but pressures on those systems were lower than a typical common rail (i think, i cant remember what 7.3's hit for pressures)

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
I ran about three drums worth of ATF in my truck. thinned it a little with regular unleaded, maybe 5-10% and filtered through my centrifuge and some whole house water filters. ran pretty good. very much like diesel. truck still runs great with the same injectors years later. I'd do it again if I can find a source of ATF

I also ran a drum of used hydraulic oil. took a little more thinning but also worked well
Interesting. I used to run my old 6.2 on almost pure hydraulic oil and it loved it. Fast foward to now, mixed half a tank of hydraulic oil and half diesel, ran sweet, but after about 8-10 tanks of this, started to puff at idle, then the engine started to run a bit rough at idle. Eventually, really started smoking at idle and engine started to knock at idle. Would run sea foam every other tank. Pulled the injectors and 3 inj tips were carboned up-amazing it even ran as good as it did.

Maybe I should have cut it with some gas?