Rebuilt ZF6 price check/rebuilder check

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
My ZF6 was feeling kind of tired already, and then I went and completely destroyed my tail housing.

I’m not able to find a replacement tail housing, and it’s so bad I doubt it can be repaired. I’m worried even if I found a tail housing or somehow fixed mine, I did a lot of driving on it while it was broken and could have done other internal damage.

I found a company in Arizona that has a strong sales pitch, guy who locally has been rebuilding trans for 40+ years and is “known” by the locals as Red, the go to guy.
Price is $1,850 + $500 core, they keep $200 for my damaged tail housing, and $125 for shipping. 12mo/12k warranty. This is the place
http://www.mwdauto.com/mtd/about-us/

They say mainshaft, syncros, shift forks, seals, main carrier bearings are all new. I believe they said other bearings are checked and replaced as needed. Obviously any other internals like gears are replaced as needed. No fluid included, no sensors etc, shifter/tower is reused from old one, no clutch and no flywheel. Just the bare unit.

The price seems great, but I’ve never had a trans rebuilt before. And there is the classic saying, you get what you pay for. Is the price too good? Anything else I should ask about or look into?
Unfortunately I wasn’t budgeting to do this, and adding in a clutch and flywheel will make it a pretty penny.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
The other thing I would add is with the help/tools of the guys at the shop my company has, they could guide me through rebuilding the trans I’m sure. But that again depends on finding a tail housing, and not severely damaging anything else internally.

For the $2k price, would I really be saving that much assuming I’m even able to find the parts?

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
There is a guy I know that builds these diesel manuals in his sleep, I have dipped into the 10s on his transmissions. And have handfuls of low 11 second slips. I could get you a price for a stock rebuild but good luck on the tailhousing. Guy on Facebook is talking about making billet tailgousing for like 2k but isn't done yet.

fl0w3n

Jan 8, 2015
What did you end up doing?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Wound up ordering the trans from them... and the fricken sales guy totally biffed it. Despite talking about ZF6 and the tail housing and what I wanted etc etc, he barely gave any info to the builder and they shipped me an NV4500 for that price.

However, he did right on his side and searched and got me a rebuilt ZF6 4x4 for $3250 flat. I go to pick it up next week.

There is a guy I know that builds these diesel manuals in his sleep, I have dipped into the 10s on his transmissions. And have handfuls of low 11 second slips. I could get you a price for a stock rebuild but good luck on the tailhousing. Guy on Facebook is talking about making billet tailgousing for like 2k but isn't done yet.

I was on the strictly ZF6 Facebook group looking, but nothing really came of it.