Rebuild Filter head or buy new?

FarmDually

Dec 2, 2019
Ponca City
Hello all
I have an 07' CC Dually and have a filter head that loses prime and it won't start.

Is it worth it to rebuild the filter head or just buy a new head?
I've heard some of the rebuild kits are pure junk.
thanks.

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
I've had good luck with a few rebuilds also had a few rebuilds that didn't work. Personally I'd upgrade to a Fass or airdog and get rid of the factory filter head all together

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Buy new

I’ve rebuilt 2 of them that didn’t work worth a damn for the Lb7

Got a spare one for my lmm ready to go on it when it decides to leak.

HWI

Feb 7, 2016
FL
I use the style without the heating element, one less thing to leak. Not sure how effective that heater is anyway and I don't need it here in Florida even if it did work good.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
If you're going to get the fass get rid of the filter head completely, eventually they all go bad regardless if new or rebuilt.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I used to think it was fine to get rid of the factory head if you had a FASS/AirDog. My truck is setup that way. My Suburban has an AirDog and the factory filter head. Got a batch of bad fuel, and the water separator on the AirDog didn't exactly work great. Drained about 1/2 cup of water out of the AirDog separator, and another 1/3 cup from the factory filter downstream. That means the AirDog separator only caught about half of the water, and the rest went right through.

Naturally, the water in fuel light didn't come on. I just knew I had gotten bad fuel and drained the tanks as soon as I got the Suburban back home. I've been questioning my decision to delete the factory filter head on my truck ever since.

If it were me, I would put on the new Parker filter head, even if you do also get a lift pump.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I used to think it was fine to get rid of the factory head if you had a FASS/AirDog. My truck is setup that way. My Suburban has an AirDog and the factory filter head. Got a batch of bad fuel, and the water separator on the AirDog didn't exactly work great. Drained about 1/2 cup of water out of the AirDog separator, and another 1/3 cup from the factory filter downstream. That means the AirDog separator only caught about half of the water, and the rest went right through.

Naturally, the water in fuel light didn't come on. I just knew I had gotten bad fuel and drained the tanks as soon as I got the Suburban back home. I've been questioning my decision to delete the factory filter head on my truck ever since.

If it were me, I would put on the new Parker filter head, even if you do also get a lift pump.

do you think the factory filter caught all the water the airdog didnt? i have a real good feeling you still had water go through your fuel system. i dont think there is a water trap out there that works well unless its 4-5 times the size of what we use.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
do you think the factory filter caught all the water the airdog didnt? i have a real good feeling you still had water go through your fuel system. i dont think there is a water trap out there that works well unless its 4-5 times the size of what we use.
I suspect you are right. What I do know, though, is it caught a whole lot more water than if I didn't have the factory filter head still. That's why I would recommend keeping it, even with a lift pump.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I agree with buying new. Both the filter heads I rebuilt still leaked and that was with a Merchant rebuild kits not junk ones.

I also wouldn’t remove the factory setup, so what if you have to replace it every 10+ years. It has worked pretty good on a lot of stock trucks over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
My first one was leaking around the primer plunger. Rebuilt it, and 6 months later it was leaking again. The one on the Suburban was leaking around the heater and the primer plunger. Just replaced that, didn't even try and rebuild it.

If you have a lift pump, a leak is annoying. If you don't, a leak means you're getting a tow. One single tow bill eclipses the cost of a new filter head. By my math, just replacing the filter head makes sense. Even with a lift pump, I'd rather just have a new one and not mess with it for another decade.

HWI

Feb 7, 2016
FL

I'm with you on keeping the stock filter head in place, it's extra insurance on the cheap.

Have you seen the video that FASS released to showcase their new style water separator? The standard water separators definitely allow a good bit of water through. That new water separator that FASS has is pretty bad ass, it doesn't have a drain because the media absorbs the water. Though, because of that you have to stay on top of filter changes.