Race prep

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I liked verlons "Drag racing 101" it just mostly covers how to race. I figured we could discuss the little things, obviously answers will vary greatly.

For those of you on street tires what seems to be a common tire pressure to run. By street tires I mean 420s, proxes, ect... not all terrains
Without a way to air back up I did 34lbs all around on 420s
For those using a lockup controller when do you hit it, I have a bt box I can throw in Auto and pick up 2 tenths but I feel like using it manually has more benefits I just don't know when to hit lockup so it helps instead of hurts my time.

What tips and tricks do you guys have for staging and launching. I'm currently cutting a 1.7 flat but it can be better
Obviously every build is different but aside from going off boost are there some rpm sweet spots that work well for people

Anything else you can think of throw it up.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
For now I use rugged terrains. Still playing with pressures. The lowest I’ve been was around 30 and 32.

I have cut a best 60’ of a 1.74 with them at these pressures.

I always turn the pre stage on and then start building boost. Then I slowly bump it in and as soon as I stage it am at full boost. Now all of this weighs on if your not racing a dip shit who has no clue what they are doing.

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
Shocks with adjustability to control rebound help a great deal with keeping the front end planted/level. Second gear launch is also beneficial (you aren’t fighting gear reduction torque and the motor spools faster/easier). Both are easy/low cost methods. As are simple leaf spring clamps. Very effective and are installed/removed in about 5min.

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
I would leave the box on auto, it will lock right after the side into second. The bt box won't keep a forced lockup for more than 10? Seconds before it will unlock.

I had good luck with my dhd box by putting it into lockup while staging, since the five speed won't lockup in first gear it would then immediately lock going into second.

I ran my 420s lower, like 20# rear, 25-30# front. Need air before I'd drive on the street though.

If there is a guy in the other lane, wait for him to stage fully before you start spooling and full stage. Otherwise you could be sitting on the converter for awhile.

Boost to leave the line at is all dependant on your setup. My stock, s366 truck liked to leave at 12-15#, my triple truck liked 20-30# depending on the track condition.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I ran 36/30 F/R on old style Proxes. If you're worried about air, go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap air tank and fill it before leaving for the track.

Double check fuel pump on, in correct tune, truck in 4wd, tow/haul and computer/V2 (if you are logging) in the staging lanes.

I stage by rpm, not boost. 1500rpm on first light, raise to 2000rpm as I bump into 2nd light. I like to stage shallow so if my brakes cant hold, Ive got a margin.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I ran 36/30 F/R on old style Proxes. If you're worried about air, go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap air tank and fill it before leaving for the track.

Double check fuel pump on, in correct tune, truck in 4wd, tow/haul and computer/V2 (if you are logging) in the staging lanes.

I stage by rpm, not boost. 1500rpm on first light, raise to 2000rpm as I bump into 2nd light. I like to stage shallow so if my brakes cant hold, Ive got a margin.

Nice basic checklist there, I'll add bring a pen for your tech card. As far as air you guys should be specific on wheel and tire sizes because different widths and heights will cup differently.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
BTW, if you are short on air for the tires, look around the pits and ask someone with a compressor if you can use it. Most fellow racers are pretty helpful for simple stuff like that. Some tracks also have air available.

Jesse, 275/xx/16's. I forget the sidewall dimension.

prostreeter600

Street rodder
Jul 18, 2010
Dallas Tx
My setup spools very easy but I still like letting the other guy at least get presaged at that point I then start roll boosting, once I’m prestaged I then work on getting fully boosted and bump in and wait for the lights to come down. Ideally I prefer the other lane to be fully staged before I do my thing . Leave on the last yellow for best reaction times .

jpowel29

Feb 1, 2008
Bentonville, Arkansas
Air pressure on true radial tires is an important call out. As was mentioned in an earlier post, low air pressure in a street radial will hurt traction rather than help due to the cupping of the tread contact patch.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I would leave the box on auto, it will lock right after the side into second. The bt box won't keep a forced lockup for more than 10? Seconds before it will unlock.

I had good luck with my dhd box by putting it into lockup while staging, since the five speed won't lockup in first gear it would then immediately lock going into second.

I ran my 420s lower, like 20# rear, 25-30# front. Need air before I'd drive on the street though.

If there is a guy in the other lane, wait for him to stage fully before you start spooling and full stage. Otherwise you could be sitting on the converter for awhile.

Boost to leave the line at is all dependant on your setup. My stock, s366 truck liked to leave at 12-15#, my triple truck liked 20-30# depending on the track condition.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Leaving the BT box in Auto vs not using it at all gained me 2 tenths so it's working I just wondered if manual mode was better but really I guess not.

I'll try dropping my pressure down 8m not really having any issues cutting good 60ft times just want to make sure I am not unloading down the track

Some great 8nfo in this thread so far

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ

Good advice

I do have an air tank. I need to fill it, lower my tires where I want then try to fill them enough to drive home and see if it's big enough

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Don't do huge burnouts on your dot street tires, maybe just a bit to clear debris but most will get less sticky when they get hot. I see this down there all the time, big dodges and duramaxes John force burnouts on big all terrains. Staging for me is way different from you guys but i always watch the tree drop when the few sets of cars ahead of me run. Get the timing in your head and see what tree they are running. I always try to get staged first. our local event has no autostart so you don't have to rush to the tree and I'm not burning down a converter so they can take as long as they want after I get staged and my handbrake pulled.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Does anyone keep their truck running to keep temps where they need to be, sometimes if they have to prep the track the coolant and trans cool down enough they aren't at operating temp

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Does anyone keep their truck running to keep temps where they need to be, sometimes if they have to prep the track the coolant and trans cool down enough they aren't at operating temp

I idle in line with no fan at all stays at 208ish. Mostly because when I restart it it puffs smoke on some nice cars so easier to keep it running lol

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I idle in line with no fan at all stays at 208ish. Mostly because when I restart it it puffs smoke on some nice cars so easier to keep it running lol

You race without the fan? Interesting

That reminds me I had something go bad up in there there's melted plastic around the shroud lol