PYO 285s?

Wake

Aug 4, 2014
Cali
are these 285? or 265?

I am picking up some pyo tomorrow and taking my lift and tire/wheels off
I will be running the stock wheels

After reading about 285s on stock 6.5 width I am a little concerned I will be towing around 8k about 6 times a year mostly a few hundred miles at a time.
Should I do 285s or 265s not real worried about mpgs just want it to look right and I am concerned about safety

Hit me up with your suggestions or experiences

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/attachments/exterior/36877d1325026447-debadge-img_0114.jpg

hope I didn't break any rules with this link its a truck the way I want to set mine up

I swear this was my first time on that site I will never do it again:rofl:

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
I went to three different tire shops and none would put anything bigger than 245s on my PYOs. They told me there was too much of a liability as (according to them) the narrow PYOs are not strong enough for the extra width and supposedly will stress the rim bead flanges when bigger tires are installed. I don't know if I believe them, but I bought some H2 wheels and the same shops didn't have any issues putting 265s or 285s on them. I towed an 8K 5th wheel and now I'm towing a 11K 5th wheel and I wouldn't tow the heavier one with PYOs. I ended up with 265s as that size seemed to keep RPM in a better range for towing, 285s seemed too tall.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I have 285s on mine. They wear fine as long as you figure out optimum pressures. I run 65psi up front and 50 in back. Never had a shop give me a hard time. I bought mine at a tire kingdom too. They're usually one of the worst. I like the rpm with the 5 speed Ali (now zf6). Not sure it would be optimal with the 6 speed Ali or not.
Also have run 315s. My dad has put 160k+ on a few sets of 315s on stock pyo wheels. Never had a problem. A lot of people run 315s on them around here.
We've both pulled more than that weight.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I had 305 mud tires on my pyos and they were sucked in but never had an issue and I have towed with that on multiple occasions

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
We have put 1,000s of sets of 285s on pyos and never had a problem. Like said above correct air pressure and they wear great

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Two of my PYO cracked with 265's on them. There was a thread on DF about cracked PYO due to the larger tires.

I've only seen 1 set of pyos crack the wheel lip off the backside, truck had 265s and was abused / over loaded. I think they ran 100lbs in the tires because it separated tires like crazy. And I've put a lot of tires on pyos..

Not saying I don't believe you, just throwing info out

Huffy67

Dec 26, 2014
Arkansas
I've only seen 1 set of pyos crack the wheel lip off the backside, truck had 265s and was abused / over loaded. I think they ran 100lbs in the tires because it separated tires like crazy. And I've put a lot of tires on pyos..

Not saying I don't believe you, just throwing info out

I worked on a LMM today that has aluminum 17's and all the wheels look like the ones on the truck you are referring to. I remember having to work on that truck a lot back in the day haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk