Pump Rub

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Well, after 252,058 miles, the pump rub finally got me. I found it when it was just starting to leak, so the fluid never ran dry. Heck, it never even got below the fill plug, since fluid ran out when I went to add more.

I am 95% sure this is pump rub, because the case is magically oozing fluid from the standard pump rub spot, but no hole is visible. I put some RTV over the area, and I can limp it home, but I want some advice on what to do next.

I plan on having the case either welded or epoxied to fix the hole, so I don't need a new case half.

I do need a new output shaft seal. I assume I'll need a new gasket when I split the case? Are there any other gaskets I'll need? I'd hate to get it all put together and have some other gasket start leaking 5,000 miles later.

So, who sells pump-rub kits, and should I just replace every gasket in there? Or will they hold for another 100k miles?

Any advice is welcome. Oh, and if I posted in the wrong area, could someone please move it?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Well, after 252,058 miles, the pump rub finally got me. I found it when it was just starting to leak, so the fluid never ran dry. Heck, it never even got below the fill plug, since fluid ran out when I went to add more.

I am 95% sure this is pump rub, because the case is magically oozing fluid from the standard pump rub spot, but no hole is visible. I put some RTV over the area, and I can limp it home, but I want some advice on what to do next.

I plan on having the case either welded or epoxied to fix the hole, so I don't need a new case half.

I do need a new output shaft seal. I assume I'll need a new gasket when I split the case? Are there any other gaskets I'll need? I'd hate to get it all put together and have some other gasket start leaking 5,000 miles later.

So, who sells pump-rub kits, and should I just replace every gasket in there? Or will they hold for another 100k miles?

Any advice is welcome. Oh, and if I posted in the wrong area, could someone please move it?

You can not weld the case but epoxied is the next option but not sure how long that will hold up. New case half is the best fix.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
You can not weld these but epoxied is the next option but not sure how long that will hold up. New case half is the best fix.

The case can be welded, but the welder needs to be competent. I have a buddy that manages a trans shop who sends them out if the rest of the case isn't hammered.

As for gaskets the case halves are silicone and input, front output, rear output and shift shaft seals (shift shaft comes with the bearing).

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
The case can be welded, but the welder needs to be competent. I have a buddy that manages a trans shop who sends them out if the rest of the case isn't hammered.

As for gaskets the case halves are silicone and input, front output, rear output and shift shaft seals (shift shaft comes with the bearing).

X2 a good welder can do it , but it isnt easy to weld magnesium so i have heard , never tried it myself .

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I believe the resident trans. guy on here can help you all out for the brace.

I've currently got my wife's sealed up in TWO spots with similar product to JB Weld. :) We have bought a new (used) one to replace hers. Just waiting to get the brace kits to install before swapping them out.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to call and get them on their way! :thumb:

stacks04

Nov 16, 2007
Terryville,Ct
I have had good luck with the jb weld epoxy after getting things real clean and then using the pump rub kits. The only one I have ever installed it the kd one.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I called Mike thinking he sold the fix, and he said no he did not. He sent me in the right direction though.
Do you mind sharing that direction?
I have had good luck with the jb weld epoxy after getting things real clean and then using the pump rub kits. The only one I have ever installed it the kd one.
I managed to stop the leak with a liberal smearing of RTV. After installing the fix, I think I may just JB weld (or other epoxy) it, since there doesn't appear to be much pressure on it.

Capit21

Mar 27, 2017
Utah
My quick fix

So I had the pump rub issue about 1 year ago, I was desperate for a quick fix, so I grabbed the red permatex rtv, I found the small pen hole, made it a little bigger and sqeezed some in their directly from the tube. It has been in a year and no issues yet. I do plan on rebuilding this eventually.