Pulling distance

White Lighting

Jul 9, 2019
I don't feel like I'm getting a the distance I could out of this truck 2004 LB7 Danville Tunes with EFI Live, Fass Fuel system, mbrp downpipe, 5 inch exhaust, cold air intake system , built trans. Ladder bars rs90000 xl rear shocks brand new at tires I'm 25 -30 feet short of most in that class. After the new rear shocks seem to get some hopping3/4 track last week. Any insight would be great thanks guys

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
- Need to get hooking point as close to rear axle as allowed by rules.
- Need to keep rear suspension stiff as possible if not allowed to block.
- Front locker.
- Lots of Horse power!

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I don't feel like I'm getting a the distance I could out of this truck 2004 LB7 Danville Tunes with EFI Live, Fass Fuel system, mbrp downpipe, 5 inch exhaust, cold air intake system , built trans. Ladder bars rs90000 xl rear shocks brand new at tires I'm 25 -30 feet short of most in that class. After the new rear shocks seem to get some hopping3/4 track last week. Any insight would be great thanks guys

Can you block the rear suspension? What is your hitch height? What RPM are you running max down the track? What tires exactly? What size tire? What is your average ground speed? What is the rest of the class running mph/speed wise?

Last edited:

White Lighting

Jul 9, 2019
Can you block the rear suspension? What is your hitch height? What RPM are you running max down the track? What tires exactly? What size tire? What is your average ground speed? What is the rest of the class running mod/speed wise?

24 Inch height. Last run was 3850 rpm on the programmer
General grabber at2 275/65/17 tires. Most guys are hitting 19-21 mph.

White Lighting

Jul 9, 2019
No blocking suspension or hanging weight. I do have 800lbs added in the front of the bed. Only place allowed in this class

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Remaining Questions:
1) When are you hitting lockup?
2) What gear are you leaving the line in? What gear are you finishing/hitting during the pull?
3) What is your tire pressure?
4) What are your shocks set at?

Recommendations:
1) Get some front end parts to fix toe-in (that is not helping at all)
2) Raise rear tire pressures to max (if not there already) to help resist the bounce
3) Add airbags or "Timbren" style overloads so the truck can't squat as far OR get stiffer rear springs by either buying them or making them.
4) Drop the front end as far as you can, on that tire size/stock rim you should be able to damn near pull the bolts out.

White Lighting

Jul 9, 2019
Remaining Questions:
1) When are you hitting lockup?
2) What gear are you leaving the line in? What gear are you finishing/hitting during the pull?
3) What is your tire pressure?
4) What are your shocks set at?

Recommendations:
1) Get some front end parts to fix toe-in (that is not helping at all)
2) Raise rear tire pressures to max (if not there already) to help resist the bounce
3) Add airbags or "Timbren" style overloads so the truck can't squat as far OR get stiffer rear springs by either buying them or making them.
4) Drop the front end as far as you can, on that tire size/stock rim you should be able to damn near pull the bolts out.

I pull 4 low 3rd gear. Tow haul on. I don't have a lockup switch that's my next investment.
Finish out pull in 3rd gear. I have noticed that end of a pull the turbo will bark and stall the truck .I tried 2nd and rpmed out about half track and had to upshift it killed all my momentum.
I set the fronts 25 rears 45psi
I set my shocks to 8. Can go to 9 if I needed.
How would I get the tow issue taken care of. All brand new front end parts. And alinged.
No air bags allowed. Maybe add 2 leafs to the spring pack?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I pull 4 low 3rd gear. Tow haul on. I don't have a lockup switch that's my next investment.
Finish out pull in 3rd gear. I have noticed that end of a pull the turbo will bark and stall the truck .I tried 2nd and rpmed out about half track and had to upshift it killed all my momentum.
I set the fronts 25 rears 45psi
I set my shocks to 8. Can go to 9 if I needed.
How would I get the tow issue taken care of. All brand new front end parts. And alinged.
No air bags allowed. Maybe add 2 leafs to the spring pack?

1) Max out the shocks
2) Max out rear tire pressure and drop from there once you get the hop figured out. My truck personally likes full hard rear tires and ~20 in the fronts depending on track/hanging weight
3) 4lo 3rd is good for your truck, you really need a lockup switch as the factory ECM can be a pain where it locks up the converter depending on wheel speed and you may need to lock earlier or later depending on track conditions/sled.
4) You may be able to get away with these if you trim them down OR if they don't touch when you don't have any load in the truck. That would be a grey area that you may have to fight since it isn't a solid block, isn't an airbag, and wouldn't be touching at static ride height.
5) Toe-in problem, add tierod sleeves/DHD centerlink brace or upgraded tierods/DHD centerlink brace. I personally have stock tierods with PPE sleeves and a DHD centerlink brace because I'm a cheap ass and its been working. My truck makes 1300hp+ and doesn't toe-in sled pulling or at the drag strip.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Su...ado/2004/TGMRCK25S.html?vehicleID=20041008154

My truck currently runs 4lo 3rd with 3.73 and 315/75r16 BFG MTs. I run 4400-4600rpm because I haven't put in my 3.42s yet and I won't be able to run 4th with the big single due to RPM at the big end of the track.

Last edited:

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
Easy stuff first, lower front end, clamp springs if not already done. Worst thing is you are pulling in a street diesel class, like Zak said you can only do so much too keep up with the cheaters. The blue LMM and yourself looked damn close distance wise so I would say you two likely are stock turbos where that big ford or the M.A dmax are not. Lots of setup left in that truck.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Easy stuff first, lower front end, clamp springs if not already done. Worst thing is you are pulling in a street diesel class, like Zak said you can only do so much too keep up with the cheaters. The blue LMM and yourself looked damn close distance wise so I would say you two likely are stock turbos where that big ford or the M.A dmax are not. Lots of setup left in that truck.

My truck pulls in the "street diesel" class here in WI. Our rules are:

1) 8200lb max, no weight bars, all weights must be in box
2) Must be reece style hitch in factory location. Opening must be 3"3.75 or larger, 26" hitch height
3) No sanctioned trucks allowed
4) Helmet and seat belt recommended
5) No whining, bitching or complaining. Violators will be subject to running scale rest of the night!
6) Run what you brung, hope you brought enough

White Lighting

Jul 9, 2019
Thanks guys. Appreciate the input. I'll keep plugging away at it. I'll drop the front tonight. Next pull is Friday

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
My truck pulls in the "street diesel" class here in WI. Our rules are:

1) 8200lb max, no weight bars, all weights must be in box
2) Must be reece style hitch in factory location. Opening must be 3"3.75 or larger, 26" hitch height
3) No sanctioned trucks allowed
4) Helmet and seat belt recommended
5) No whining, bitching or complaining. Violators will be subject to running scale rest of the night!
6) Run what you brung, hope you brought enough

Wild lol. I love hearing about that type of class but hate it in the same breath. Very hard to get much hook without front weight but I can appreciate a RWYB no front weight class!

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Wild lol. I love hearing about that type of class but hate it in the same breath. Very hard to get much hook without front weight but I can appreciate a RWYB no front weight class!

I mean I'm still hitting 26-28mph ground speed in the class. Hanging weight adds 2-3mph when I've got all 1000lb off the nose with the front locker. I can leave harder, lock sooner etc.

The part I don't like about the class is it doesn't allow guys with stock turbos/small upgrades to be competitive so it makes them not want to hook. We need an entry class and we've tried getting the local organizations to get an entry level class to get more people into the sport. Drag racing isn't pronounced here in regards to the diesel scene, all we really do is sled pulling. Myself and another guy with a very very similar built duramax have to turn down at the strip to keep inside the roll bar limits.

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
I mean I'm still hitting 26-28mph ground speed in the class. Hanging weight adds 2-3mph when I've got all 1000lb off the nose with the front locker. I can leave harder, lock sooner etc.

Yep I ran mine for years that way no front weight etc just in box and went up a class to what we call Pro Street Diesel (LPSD) and the truck loved the front weight. No locker, stock trans, stock turbo. Still working on that truck now and have a dedicated LPSD, bumped the other truck back to the street class.