PT cruiser

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Been working on my brothers car for the last few days. It over heated and poped a head gasket and wouldn't run after that.

Got the head off yesterday. He is going to bring it to a shop to see if it is salvageable. Also we are going to replace the radiator and timing belt while we are in there.

For how cramped it is in the engine bay it is not really that hard to work on. Had a tougher time on my truck for some things. The only real bit¢h is the engine mount bracket. You have to lift the engine up like 5 or 6 inches just to get enough clearance and it still has a hard time coming out. Not looking forward to putting it back in

Anyone else ever work on one of these turboed PT cruisers?

Attachments

• Block.jpg
    Block.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Head.jpg
    Head.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 63

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Got the refurbished head installed and torqued down. New timing belt kit put in with new water pump, idler and tensioner. Set the timing, etc. Plus a bunch of small things and other brackets, exhaust, heat shields, etc

Few more hours tomorrow we should have it almost complete. Going to drop the pan and clean it out but with the rain we've been having it may have to wait a few days. Would like to roll it outside to pressure wash the underside before pulling it apart and I'm not going to do that in my garage

Attachments

• IMG_20190306_231934328~01.jpg
    IMG_20190306_231934328~01.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 38

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Got the car running the other day. Fired up on first try

Pulled the oil pan and cleaned it up. Some sludge but not too bad with the coolant and oil mix

Have fresh oil in it and plan on running about a week and doing another oil change

Little bit of smoke for the first few miles burning off the oil in the cylinder and anywhere else it got during disassembly and putting it back together. But cleared up after a short drive.

Seems to have a little bit more power and run a little smoothly :thumb:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
They're not a bad car if you can get past the styling. Don't really have anything useful to add, just wanted to say I'd been following along. Always nice to see progress on projects, even the occasional gasser.