Promaxx Heads - Thoughts?

Delta.Speed

Mar 26, 2022
Hello all, its the newest diesel newbie in the forum back for more advise..... learning the hard way that diesels get stupid expensive quick lol

So I'm in the middle of a pretty extensive top end rebuild on my LB7 that included my heads coming off and going to my local machine shop for full inspections and a valve job.

Well as it turns out, my heads are gonna need $2,167 worth of work. New exhaust valves, guides, seats, and stem seals, along with a resurface, and the valve job.

I got to looking and found these:

Promaxx heads that claim to be brand new castings with all new parts, and they even claim they have improved the castings with added meat in frequent DMAX head cracking spots.

Any thought on these? They'd actually be cheaper than fixing my own heads, but I wanted to check and see if there were any better options out there for the price.

Im obviously not interested in $4,000 a pop race heads.....I've seen those too....
51ddc4f463e8e33fedf38aef1cc37db5.jpg
82e4ac890cd0a0644309bdc2daa184cc.jpg
3316a47347f4bf4916f8a77ad6f1cab7.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I used a promaxx head for a Cummins before.. and it will be my last one. They are junk. Casting's weren't worth a dam, grid heater didn't fit correctly down in the intake port, had cross threaded whole for the valve train, and coolant ports were not correct for a truck application, had about 4-5 hrs of wasted unpaid time trying to get everything to work properly on that. Talked with the owner of the company and he said he'd give me a good deal on the next one after I justified my issues with pictures of proof, lol but uhh I don't ever want another one.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I went through 3 sets of SoCal stage 1 heads, every one leaked coolant. The stock castings are thin enough you are rolling the dice pretty hard when you port them. I wouldn't recommend it.

I ended up with the Wagler aluminum heads (they don't seem to make them anymore) which have been flawless. If you need new heads now, I'd look at the Edelbrock.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: juddski88

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I don't keep up nearly as well as some of you guys, but I've seen the dyno videos of the Edelbrock vs Stock heads. For a street driven truck I would stay stock, seems to me you could put that money else where and get a lot more for it. Unless there is a set of heads that I don't know about.

Reactions: 2004LB7

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Just get your existing heads redone. You dont need anything fancy for a stock truck.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
I don't keep up nearly as well as some of you guys, but I've seen the dyno videos of the Edelbrock vs Stock heads. For a street driven truck I would stay stock, seems to me you could put that money else where and get a lot more for it. Unless there is a set of heads that I don't know about.
If the heads need to be replaced how much more are the edelbrock?

Delta.Speed

Mar 26, 2022
Damn looks like this head thing isn't going to be an easy one to make a choice on....

So my main concerns are paying close to $2k for my used heads that need to be cut to be machined and rebuilt when there are several options out there around that price point for heads from reputable manufacturers....

So far I've looked at the Fleece reman heads which are basically heads that have gone through the machine process or so I hear.

Then I looked at Promaxx and liked what I read about the thicker castings in crack prone areas, but someone here says they had fitment issues with them.

Then I looked at the SoCal heads which also seem good, but I definitely dont want to be tearing this thing down 3 times like one of you said above.

Im concerned about spending $2k to basically have tired rebuilt heads. If there is a better option out there, I'd like to go that route since I'm there but I definitely dont want to take a route that'll have me back in the engine soon.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Kill Devil Diesel is also in the head manufacturing business now and have some outstanding options. But for what you are doing with the truck, stick with a set of stock heads that have had had a good valve job done, good guides put in (bronze), and have been checked for cracks and pressure tested. I pay a shop locally to do all my heads like this and it is 1,700 per set, roughly.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I've been using reman heads from Fleece and SoCal for years without a single issue, I personally wouldn't worry about a ported head on your truck for what your goals are.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Im concerned about spending $2k to basically have tired rebuilt heads. If there is a better option out there, I'd like to go that route since I'm there but I definitely dont want to take a route that'll have me back in the engine soon.

dont be concerned. they are fixing them properly and they will be like new. ask if they pressure test in a heated tank and at what psi. ive had 2 heads that did not show leaks/cracks till 100psi. one of which i lost my ass on (first one i found this issue on). beyond that, if they know how to recess the valves correctly, head isnt overly warped, and will also set spring pressures for you, everything else they stated to you is what should be done (other than exhaust valves, my guess is you have some burnt up ones?)

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I used a set of $900 remanned stock heads from Eric back in 2009. They helped run low 12's in 2010 and are still on the truck, doing their job.
Cripes, quit overthinking this.

Reactions: LBZ