PPE OE Style Centrelink

c5fourj

Occasionally moving quick
Dec 20, 2014
Brighton, CO
So, the other day I was greasing up my front end. When going about my business, I noticed a quite significant bend in the stock centrelink in between the pitman and idler arm. Put a ruler on it and sure enough you could rock the ruler all over. So my question is, is the 1.5" stock style centrelink that PPE offers going to actually benefit being simply a larger diameter over stock, or is it more marketing bs? Truck is my daily and is occasionally drag raced.
Thanks.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Seems like it's not a worthwhile upgrade, until you bend your stock one....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I don’t know anyone that has one but if it maintains stock steering geometry I’d give it a whirl. All I know is you lose a lot of your turning radius with a straight one so in theory this seems like a better choice for a DD truck.

Lowboost

Nov 12, 2017
I run this centerlink you are talking about. I did not want the trade offs that go with a straight link. Truck steers just like stock and has handled many full boost launches and survived a sled pull. I too had bent the stock centerlink before rebuilding the whole front end. This thing is very heavy/thick and I don't see how it could ever bend. I run my ppe centerlink with ppe tie rods, GM pitman, idler, and stabilizer along with a PISK kit. If you are trying to stay with stock steering geometry I highly recommend this centerlink.

WisconsinHick1

Mar 11, 2009
Minnesota
I have had trucks with straight center links and you do not lose a lot of turning radius. You lose a little bit of your turn radius.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I don’t know anyone that has one but if it maintains stock steering geometry I’d give it a whirl. All I know is you lose a lot of your turning radius with a straight one so in theory this seems like a better choice for a DD truck.

The kryptonite street centerlink "supposedly" doesn't sacrifice turning radius according to them.

Lowboost

Nov 12, 2017
The kryptonite street centerlink "supposedly" doesn't sacrifice turning radius according to them.
How about tire scrub? I only went the ppe 1.5" stock style centerlink because I didn't want to sacrifice one bit of drivability.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I’ve had stock, straight, and kriptonite. The straight has the tie rods enter from the end like OEM, and allowed for great boosted launches and no rolling of the centerlink. However, the bump steer and the Ackerman were terrible. Parking lot maneuvers sucked. Scrub city. The Kryp is also straight, but it has the tie rods attached onboard and through the bar instead of in the end. It is not perfect but it is much much more streetable than the straight. There’s less scrub and other issues. However, it will allow the centerlink to roll, just not as readily as the stock unit. I found that out the hard way after I got my 68stg2r and did my first launch in 4wd (not even boosted). Now I run the DHD Brace in combo and I am very happy.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I’ve had stock, straight, and kriptonite. The straight has the tie rods enter from the end like OEM, and allowed for great boosted launches and no rolling of the centerlink. However, the bump steer and the Ackerman were terrible. Parking lot maneuvers sucked. Scrub city. The Kryp is also straight, but it has the tie rods attached onboard and through the bar instead of in the end. It is not perfect but it is much much more streetable than the straight. There’s less scrub and other issues. However, it will allow the centerlink to roll, just not as readily as the stock unit. I found that out the hard way after I got my 68stg2r and did my first launch in 4wd (not even boosted). Now I run the DHD Brace in combo and I am very happy.

This is the setup I want to go to, Kryptonite street centerlink and DHD brace. Right now I have the DHD brace and PPE sleeves, when something in my front end fails I'll upgrade but thus far its held ~1100hp according to weight/track time and hasn't given me issues.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Before the DHD Brace I had kryp front, kryp rods, weld in idler gusset, ultimate idler and rare pitman. The rare pitman pin isn’t fixed like others and it rotates in a ball/socket. So apparently it doesn’t help with centerlink rolling. My setup was great until the stg2r, then I rolled it up like a pretzel. I added the DHD Brace and all good. Then I added the DHD lower bracket and it’s a terrific front end now! The bracket made a fantastic difference. Front end is rock solid.