Ppe cupless heads injector install

Mattshlunk

Matt shlunk
Aug 19, 2016
Florida
Has anyone had an issue installing the injectors in the new style cupless heads from ppe?

Had to pretty forcefully push the injector down and it doesn't sit flush with the head. Seems the gap is about the width of the copper washer.

Not sure if I'm supposed to use the washers with these newer style heads, I should use a socket and beat it down further with a rubber mallet, or what to do at this point.

I installed a 2nd injector without the oring to check the fit and without the washer it sits flush, with the washer I have the same gap as the first I installed.

Also tried to torque the hold down to see if that sucks it down flush and at 55 ft lbs (torque spec for socal hold down studs) there's still a gap.

Waiting for ppe to open again on Tuesday to call the manufacturer but just seeing if anyone else may have had this issue before.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks20230101_165552.jpg

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
whats the stock head look like? injector shouldnt be flush or you wont have pre-load on the copper washer to seal it.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Mattshlunk

Matt shlunk
Aug 19, 2016
Florida
Not sure what they look like in the stock head. I'm about to get on a plane right now. Stock head also has cups.

You're saying the gap in that picture should be fine then? I feel like they're supposed to sit flush but I have no clue.

Been a long time since I did the injectors previously and can't recall how they sat in the stock heads with cups

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
As James said. It shouldn't be flush or you will loose the seal on the copper washer. The hold down bolt is providing a consistent pressure on the copper washer. If you bottom out the injector then you loose this seal

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Agreed. Do not install WITHOUT a copper washer. As long as the injector doesn't sit high enough to cause the hold down to be at an angle, all is well

Reactions: 2004LB7

Mattshlunk

Matt shlunk
Aug 19, 2016
Florida
OK sounds good, thanks guys.

Would never consider myself a mechanic but I've always felt something like that would sit flush.