Powerglide and dropbox for pullin?

Ben46a

Wannabe puller
Sep 4, 2006
Waverley, NS, Canada
Heres the deal, Up here, our tracks are pure clay, and hard as frig, and bite like a doberman on a ribsteak; and our drags are big and heavy. Ive been runnin my 550 RWHP ZF6 truck with a dual disk clutch with limited success. If im up to weight, i cant get the drag moving, it pulls the engine down from 4200 and it down and stalls. This is in 3rd gear low range. If i run lighter weight it will spin off the get go and stop at 100 feet cause it wont hook right, and it usually bounces like a bugger. Yesterday was the last straw. All the 4x4 mod guys (gasser) around here run autos of some sort, cause they have the same problem. One guy even runs a BRT converter drive into a profab reverser case with pretty good results. I have a new truck, this will just be a toy, So i was thinking of running a powerglide with a 2400 rpm or so converter and a dropbox. The powerglide can be built to take a whuppin for less than the allison, and i figure i can get out of the hole in low and shift it to high for the run home. Whats your thoughts on this?

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
powerglide

I think it will work. I have always wanted to try it myself. If you do keep use informed. I want to do the same on a drag truck. Very little hp wasted and tough as nails.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Maybe even a TH-400? They run thoughs in some pretty high HP applications! If money is avalible, A BRT-Lenco ought to do the trick!:D

Ben46a

Wannabe puller
Sep 4, 2006
Waverley, NS, Canada
I thought of a TH400 as well, the only problem with a Glide is that it needs an 11" converter and i dont think that that will take the heat like a 13" converter that a TH400 has. But TH400 also has more crap to break LOL. ill keep yall informed.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I thought of a TH400 as well, the only problem with a Glide is that it needs an 11" converter and i dont think that that will take the heat like a 13" converter that a TH400 has. But TH400 also has more crap to break LOL. ill keep yall informed.

True, they all have pretty much switched to lenco's in all of T/A drags but the ole TH-400 was mainstay in that class a while ago. If it can handle T/A it should work, we make huge torque but drag racin = huge shock load and thats worse on parts IMO ;)

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
vote th 400 there are more of them plus it gives you and extra gear to work with as well

depending on the charger/rpm... might look at a 3,000-3500 stahl