Possible zf6 purchase

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Going to look at a farm truck lly/zf6, what's things to look out for on these things? I keep reading horror stories of the cases cracking but see guys on here dropping the clutch from 4400rpm (cough cough Jesse )

Lmk fellas

My plan is a to make a nice work truck/sled deck hauler out of this.

Any reason to stay away from it?

melms23

Jul 30, 2011
WI
no reason to stay away. They can be jumpy if not tuned well driving with no load or backing up a trailer.

They are great to tow with and a clutch is cheaper than a built allison. I did synchros in mine and it wasn't too bad, I felt much more comfortable opening up a zf6, compared to the horror stories of guys working on their own Allison's.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the stock clutch sucks, about all you should have to worry about with your plans with the truck.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
It's more so the stock flywheel that sucks, they crack and vibrate. The rear cases crack due to vibration from bad joints or a damaged driveshaft. Keep that all in check and run a transfer case brace and your good. One good thing is the early zf trucks had the bigger 1480 u joints over the auto equipped trucks. They are definitely not weak by any means, and fun to drive with proper tuning. It's always nice swapping turbo setups and not having to restall ir have spooling or towing issues.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Are part available if anything was to happen?

You can get a new rear case between 4 and 500. I don't think you can get a new front case but they don't have problems cracking unless a clutch flies apart of something and takes it out. Everything internal can be bought new, I think the front case is the only thing you can't get new.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
I've always wanted a zf6.....

I'm seriously contemplating on selling my lbz i just bought. Literally just drove down to Tennessee from new York to not find a rusty one

CarolinaHD

Feb 8, 2011
NC
I've always wanted a zf6.....

I'm seriously contemplating on selling my lbz i just bought. Literally just drove down to Tennessee from new York to not find a rusty one

Trade you a rusty arrival blue 2003 ECSB zf6 4x4 LS :D

It's really not too rusty just under the bed and the rockers

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I mean go drive one and see if it's for you. The meaner they get the more unstreetable clutch you have to run. However I will say my 1000 hp triple from Dan is less grabby than my South bend dual disc was. But it's not a street clutch, it's an awesome feeling when you ride the brakes and mash it from a roll and hit like 50 pounds of boost and letting off the brake lol. These things are monsters from a roll.

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
Trade you a rusty arrival blue 2003 ECSB zf6 4x4 LS :D

It's really not too rusty just under the bed and the rockers

add cash and lets do this, going to rot out any ways in my neck of the woods....

my truck has literally spent its whole life in Tennessee..... and is now sitting in my heated shop for the winter because i just cant see letting a 2007 classic with 135 k on it rust away.