LB7: Possible Stuck PS Pressure Valve?

Csibbs

Dec 18, 2018
Long story short, 289k 02 LB7
Installed new steering box, and truck ran fine for about 5 miles, lost all PS and brakes.
Put a new PS pump in it. Bled it, drove it, lost PS and brakes in the same amount of time.
Put another new PS pump in it thinking I got a bad reman, and before doing so, flushed the system out with fresh PS fluid.
Same thing, ran fine, this time I was able to go about 15 miles, with the steering starting to intermittently work until I went to pull it back up on the lift it went completely out.
Decided to put a new box in it, see if that was the issue...maybe I got a bad reman box....
Same exact thing happened, although this time, I had no brakes and steering from the start, but they eventually came back after pulling it off the lift.
Long story short 3 PS Pumps, 2 Steering boxes, and never had an issue before I touched the thing. I only replaced the box to begin with because I was selling the truck and didn't want to sell it with a leaky box. Sucks when you try to do something right and end up shooting yourself in the foot.
My theory is the Pressure valve keeps getting stuck?
Am I on the right track? Are the tolerances on these valves so poor that they get stuck this often?
I've followed all different types of bleed procedures as well, key on engine off, turn wheel lock to lock about 50 times.
Then I tried turn wheel left to right 5 times, press brakes 3 times and repeat 20 times (took forever)
And then I tried turn wheel to the left, crank truck let run for 3-5 seconds shut off and repeat 5-7 times
No such luck.
If someone could shed some insight or experience on this I would appreciate it. This has now been a 3 week endeavor, of borrowing people's cars to get to and from work, and trying to tackle this on my days off work.
I just want it fixed already! Someone has to know what's going on...should I invest in a vacuum bleeder cap? I'm at a loss here...
Did I somehow install my lines backwards? I looked at a diagram, and thought I did it correctly...when looking at the box through the fender well, the line that goes to the PS pump, is closer to the fender, while the line that goes to the hydroboost, is closer to the engine....

Last edited:

Csibbs

Dec 18, 2018
I have seen the hydro boosts cause lose of power steering and power brakes.

I had ruled out the hydroboost simply for the fact that the hydroboost was never the problem to begin with ...in fact, nothing was a problem to begin with which is why this whole thing has become so frustrating...trying to do the right thing and fix my leaky steering box before selling it and instead I opened a can of worms...

Any tests on how to rule out the hydroboost for sure? That's quite an expensive part to throw at it on a hunch ya know?

techperry

GM Diesel Tech
Jun 1, 2014
If you had a power steering pressure tester yes but if not no.my gut tells me it is still the steering gear. That's what changed when the problem started.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I once had a similar adventure. It ended up being bad steering gears. Replaced the o.e for a leak, then a few pumps, another gear, more pumps and finally got the pressure test kit. I think neutral no load pressure w/ engine idling is supposed to be something like 50-75 psi. With those junk gears I was seeing around 500 psi neutral pressure. Soon as you breathed on the wheel or revved the engine it went to relief and cooked pumps after a few minutes. The 3rd gearbox worked and pressure was fine.

No that I have my own shop I do everything in my power to steer people away from parts store steering gears. They are junk. Even the GM "remans" for the 01-10 trucks are cardone shit

I pretty much only install RedHeads. Never had an issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Csibbs

Dec 18, 2018
I once had a similar adventure. It ended up being bad steering gears. Replaced the o.e for a leak, then a few pumps, another gear, more pumps and finally got the pressure test kit. I think neutral no load pressure w/ engine idling is supposed to be something like 50-75 psi. With those junk gears I was seeing around 500 psi neutral pressure. Soon as you breathed on the wheel or revved the engine it went to relief and cooked pumps after a few minutes. The 3rd gearbox worked and pressure was fine.

No that I have my own shop I do everything in my power to steer people away from parts store steering gears. They are junk. Even the GM "remans" for the 01-10 trucks are cardone shit

I pretty much only install RedHeads. Never had an issue.

Great info, thank you for that. Sounds similar to what is happening to me....is there a possible way to make a pressure tester? In thinking maybe defect the pump and box out and start with two fresh ones and go from there...wish I could just get my old box back and just replace the seal....plus I really don't have the money to shell out for a redhead box which sucks as well

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I don't think you'll make a pressure tester cheaply. The fittings are a goofy size/style and most hydraulic hose builders dont have them. Have to cannibalize a couple lines most likely. At least one.

Csibbs

Dec 18, 2018
I don't think you'll make a pressure tester cheaply. The fittings are a goofy size/style and most hydraulic hose builders dont have them. Have to cannibalize a couple lines most likely. At least one.

Well then in that case can you point me in the right direction of what pressure tester you used? Not sure if there is a specific one for a hydroboost vs regular PS...and also where to attach the gauge? I'm guessing the High pressure line going into the hydroboost unit? But not sure. Never have I even thought of pressure testing my PS system but I sure would like to now

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Shop I used to work for ponyed up for the GM power steering test kit that dealerships used. No idea where they got it. Ebay or something if I had to guess