possible clock spring failure?

reese600

Jan 3, 2019
I'm having a couple electrical issues and I think it may be the clock spring. My horn hasn't worked in months, and the LED on the on/off switch for the cruise stays lit, even when the truck is off. Now this morning the cruise wont activate, the LED is still lit up, but cruise doesn't engage and the green light on the dash doesn't appear like it would if the cruise was on.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm having a couple electrical issues and I think it may be the clock spring. My horn hasn't worked in months, and the LED on the on/off switch for the cruise stays lit, even when the truck is off. Now this morning the cruise wont activate, the LED is still lit up, but cruise doesn't engage and the green light on the dash doesn't appear like it would if the cruise was on.
make model year of the truck?

reese600

Jan 3, 2019
So I did replace the clock spring and that fixed the cruise control and horn issue. But now a new issue, Service Air Bag light and message is on the display. Was a simple plug and play job, bought new GM clock spring part number 25966966. Does something have to be re-programmed because I changed the clock spring?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Check the plug on the air bag and make sure its seated all the way. Also if you can read the code That will till you were to look in the system.

If you had to turn the key on at any point while you messed with the system and the Air bag was disconnected, you will get a code. If that is the case you just need to clear it with a scanner that is capable of reading Airbag codes. A basic code reader usually wont get that deep into the system.

Reactions: 2004LB7

reese600

Jan 3, 2019
Well, that was short lived. The main reason I replaced the clock spring is that I wanted my cruise to work again. And it did the first 2 or 3 times I drove my truck. But today, I had it set and was using it. Stopped at a stop sign, got back up to speed and tried the cruise, and nothing. It seems like it works when it wants to. I cant do anything to make it work, or not work, it's completely random and driving me nuts. Of course it failed today when I was on a 4 hour trip on the highway. On my way home, I stopped a store, left my truck running, and when I left the store, I tried it again, and it worked, 5 miles from home. 🤦‍♂️

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well, that was short lived. The main reason I replaced the clock spring is that I wanted my cruise to work again. And it did the first 2 or 3 times I drove my truck. But today, I had it set and was using it. Stopped at a stop sign, got back up to speed and tried the cruise, and nothing. It seems like it works when it wants to. I cant do anything to make it work, or not work, it's completely random and driving me nuts. Of course it failed today when I was on a 4 hour trip on the highway. On my way home, I stopped a store, left my truck running, and when I left the store, I tried it again, and it worked, 5 miles from home. 🤦‍♂️
sounds like a brake switch issue. if one of the brake switches is no longer working correctly, cruise will not work.