Painting alternator?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I'm painting my engine while doing HGs. Well I want to paint my alternator, but from what I can find taking the case off is a pain and involves desoldering the case from internal components. I might just try and do it with a brush after gently cleaning the case with wheel acid. Any other suggestions?

Picture of valve covers just for the hell of it
9576928680fc356929992df300d32e2a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Sorry don’t have any suggestions for alternator painting. Just wanted to say the valve covers, accy brackets, manifolds look good. I like the choice of color. All I can recommend is the obvious about not painting around alt case mounting points.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Taking apart an alternator is not all that difficult and you will get a much better result doing it.

Also, I wouldn't do an acid wash. Instead I would do a sodium or potassium hydroxide wash after scrubbing it with dishwashing liquid.

You can also bake the paint to make it more durable before reassembling.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Taking apart an alternator is not all that difficult and you will get a much better result doing it.

Also, I wouldn't do an acid wash. Instead I would do a sodium or potassium hydroxide wash after scrubbing it with dishwashing liquid.

You can also bake the paint to make it more durable before reassembling.
Just need to desoldering the conection on the back of the case and a torx+ to get the pulley off? Then knock it apart?

I found one video on repairing them.
https://youtu.be/-Gm85f0GGPo

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I think you should have an AD series alternator. Maybe the AD244?

This video may be closer to what you want.[YOUTUBE]dUPRwrbzwAM[/YOUTUBE]

It's been a few years since I've opened up an AD alternator, I'm pretty sure I still have some parts around so I can double check if needed, so I'm not 100% on this. If I remember right, it's a handful of fasteners, those three soldier points for the windings and tapping everything apart. On reassembly, just remember to hold the brushes back so as to not break them when putting the regulator over the slip rings

You could probably get away with not removing the bearings as the caustic salutation I mentioned above will not attack steel. It will only clean and etch the aluminum. It's up to you.

If that's too much then by all means paint it with a brush.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Nope it’s a DR44G and it has a clutch style pulley. Which takes a special tool to remove. I’ve read if some guys that spray them without disassembly and just stuff some stuff in the holes. I’m more worried about damaging something during cleaning then anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If so, maybe just do it that way. I had a hell of a time replacing the clutch pulley on my jetta. If you don't have the right tools they are really hard to remove.

There is not a whole lot you can do to damage it while cleaning. Just dont soak them. A bristle brush and some detergent and light rinsing should do. Let it fully dry in the sun (or oven at 140* or so) and paint. Try and stay away from the carbon brushes with anything petroleum based or solvent, they tend to not hold up well if contaminated. The varnish coating on the wires is pretty robust so solvent and detergent wont hurt them. The regulator is sealed so not much worry there.

Last edited:

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Just be careful we're it mounts. If I remember right it grounds there and I've herd many electrical issues from guys painting it and it not properly grounding.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Good point! Not only do I need to check the alternator mounts the the accessorie bracket that mount it to the engine since I painted it too.