LMM: P009E, shimmed, then Race valve, now what

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Had 2 shims in, kept getting P009E on highway, now have race valve and it popped again tonight.

Dual fuelers with PPE ported DS fitting and drilled .060" PS fitting.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Hey Mike do the bottle test and make sure its still not leaking past the race valve, If you messed up the fuel rail you will have to replace it and the valve.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
i havent installed the shim kit and race valve yet but i have them. Should i install theese?

you only install one or the other. the shims allow for a measure of saftey, the race on the other will not allow the valve to pop at all....

shims are lil harder install but start there, before just slapping in the race valve. (even PPE dont suggest using the race valve unless you really need to...)

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Mike Ive had 3 shims in my rail since day 2 and never leaked with the duels

You might have to get a new rail or try 3 shims or get it tighter

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
why would it cause a cracked piston? coninsidence maybe? idk. I figure you'd blow an injector out worse case senerio. maybe we shoulda tried 3 shims before the race valve. also I am running the ported regulator in the second cp3; I'll bottle test and look at a efi table this weekend and get back. thanks.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
You should always do a bottle test before dinking with relief valve. There are other things that can code.

We have been running a race valve in Casper for 3 years now, and Blue has had 3 shims for 3 years and 60,000mi.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
FWIW, I started with the race valve right from new and after a year, started losing rail-badly!! I got a new stock relief valve installed and shimmed it with 3 shims and my problems went away.

NemesisDP

Apr 20, 2008
Bloomfield New Mexico
We had one lmm that would throw codes with the shimms but would not with out the shimms. Put the shimms back in and would throw codes all over the place. Put the race valve in and still threw codes. Put the valve back in with no shimms no code WTF. Rail pressure with single CP3 was just fine.

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
why would it cause a cracked piston? coninsidence maybe? idk. I figure you'd blow an injector out worse case senerio. maybe we shoulda tried 3 shims before the race valve. also I am running the ported regulator in the second cp3; I'll bottle test and look at a efi table this weekend and get back. thanks.

Worst case scenario, you can block the code until you figure out the problem.