Owners experiances with Duramax and Sierra / Silverado HD trucks

kenlee

Mar 1, 2021
S.E. TX
I've have come to the forum to research owners experiences with Duramax and Sierra HD trucks. I maybe in the market soon for one or the other. I have not read any literature on either one yet.
I am looking for what problems are owners having etc.
thank you, and hope to get so reviews.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
You should specify what year(s) truck you are looking for first. What will your needs be (ie towing, work, fun toy, etc). We cant give an opinion without having more info.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
You should specify what year(s) truck you are looking for first. What will your needs be (ie towing, work, fun toy, etc). We cant give an opinion without having more info.
What Tom said. Grocery getter or equipment hauler? Luxury or work truck. Half ton or one ton. What are you requirements, once we know that we can more accurately advise.

kenlee

Mar 1, 2021
S.E. TX
Sorry, If I were to buy a vehicle it would be a new 2021 model.

I am currently the owner of a 2015 Ford F250 power stroke diesel. Since owning it, two items have have come up in emission controls. First, at 29,000 miles the crankcase vent oil separator, second at 36,500 miles the DEF tank heater. First issue was covered under factory warranty and the second issue was covered under extended warranty. Recently I began to search Ford forums to learn more about my vehicle and what I discovered reading about others modifying the things on their trucks to try and alleviate engine failures has elevated my anxiety about keeping the truck.

I really love the diesel truck a King Ranch version. The dealer has always performed oil changes even before it was time to change it. I only use ExxonMobil fuel. I do light driving and hardly any hauling now. At 75 years old things have slow down with my and my wife for going places. I thought this would be my last vehicle. It is astounding to me that such an expensive truck has so many issues for some owners. And they seem to have existed for a long time.

My fault I didn't do my home work prior to buying one.

Some owners are modifying the fuel injection pump, the CCV system, and the exhaust system.
I used to work on and do preventative maintenance on everything I owned, but can't do it any more.

So, my question was for those who may have had similar experience with the GM diesel engine. I wouldn't think there would be a lot or any issues with HD gasoline engines but threw that in there anyway.

If I trade my truck in, I don't know for sure if I'll go for another 2500 series truck even though I like a big truck.
thank you for replying.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Did you buy your Ford new? If you've only put those miles on since 2015, and you're 75 years old, I'd opt to keep the truck you have. Small issues like you've experienced could show up in the other manufacturers as well

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
ALL of the new diesels are going to have emissions equipment issues. If I were you I’d keep the truck. You have to remember that these issues you’re reading about online are a handful out of millions of trucks sold. 2015 is a good year for power stroke with the turbo update they did. There are ways to eliminate the emissions on them, but it will void any warranty and is 100% illegal to do. We have a 2012 f250 at our work with 260k with all emissions still installed and it still runs great. Keep what you have if you’re happy with the truck, do your preventative maintenance when needed, and face any issues that come along if and when they arise.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
If you are not hauling much now, you may be better off threading it in for a gasser

kenlee

Mar 1, 2021
S.E. TX
I going to seriously think about it some more. I don't think I have really like a truck as much as I do this one. Not because it's ford, but because it's a diesel. Others were all 1500 series GM gassers.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
The new half ton 3.0 duramax are extremely quiet and smooth. That being said, I don’t know that I’d touch one for a few years till they’ve been proven. I know nothing of the new Ford half ton either.