oil temp sensor install

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
so, ever since the twin install I have been battling high coolant temps on steep and long climbs a lot. Time to get to the bottom of this. I ordered a temp sensor from edge for my CS monitor. I have read quite a bit of threads on where to put this sensor, but I'm still confused. They talk about an 8mm plug and a 10mm plug. Which one do I want? also, what is the treads on either of these plugs. The sensor is a 1/8npt. I have read 3/8th npt, but i want to be sure I dont need to order up an adapter. If i just need a 3/8 to 1/8 my local hardware store will have that.

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
Yes. Threw the inner fender with a 10mm Allen head on a 1/2" extension and breaker bar. Make sure to clean the 10mm hole first and that the Allen drive fits all the way too bottom. They can be tight and you don't want to round off from not seating fully.

Don't install a temp sensor if you like to drive the truck. It's gonna scare you how hot your oils getting :eek: :D

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Running electric fans or still mechanical? Clean the cooling stack lately? How old is the fan clutch ?

If you got a little brazing type butane torch put some heat to it and it will break loose easier

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
Clutch is factory with 78k on it. Just last fall I tore it apart and cleaned the stack out with a pressure washer. Truck spends almost all of its time on the clean highway and the rest in a garage so it was pretty clean

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
Good question. I can't remember now. I think it's around 215? What I consider high temps is 236. The only reason it stops there is because I hit the top of the pass this truck usually climbs. If I was pulling an actual load in actual temps and a longer hill, I'm sure it would soar up past 240. It will hit 236 pulling only 10k(not including the truck) in temps around 50-60 up a hill thats steep, but not that long.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I don't know pulse widths and stuff like that, but it's 3 on my DSP. I think Kory said it was around a 120 tune. It doesn't seem to help much if I drop to 2 which is a 40 HP heavy tow tune. Personally, I think it's the s475 sending the oil temps through the roof

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
250° is when ecm starts pulling fuel out.
Idk if you have the radio on or not.. when fan comes on there is a definite roar.. LMM are louder then the older version bigger and more aggressive fan blade.
Bugs will clog up a radiator decent amount.
How steep a grade? 50-60mph is right at the 4-5 shift point with stock gearing and tires.. lugging(under 2000rpm) it will create alot of heat, on long grades.

OEM fan usually doesn't come on untill 230ish. Recommend swapping a Hayden 2886
Following member of another site results with a 2886 swap.. tows a ~16k toyhauler in hills of western Maryland which has several 5-13mile long 5-8% grades(I've ran them myself)
*UPDATE*
Finally hooked up to the toy hauler and headed out to the lake. Air temp 75. I could finally hear the fan clutch engage and pulled a 2200'incline over a few miles 65, as soon as my edge read 210 the fan kicked in high and actually dropped the temps to 198 @ 65mph hauling the mountain. Before this fix, it was 40 mph up the mountain and 235-240 degrees on the edge cts2 for coolant.

Thanks to all the guys that gave me pointers fixing my rig

Sent by my German Shepherd

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I don't know pulse widths and stuff like that, but it's 3 on my DSP. I think Kory said it was around a 120 tune. It doesn't seem to help much if I drop to 2 which is a 40 HP heavy tow tune. Personally, I think it's the s475 sending the oil temps through the roof

It sure isn't helping keep them cool;)

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
250° is when ecm starts pulling fuel out.
Idk if you have the radio on or not.. when fan comes on there is a definite roar.. LMM are louder then the older version bigger and more aggressive fan blade.
Bugs will clog up a radiator decent amount.
How steep a grade? 50-60mph is right at the 4-5 shift point with stock gearing and tires.. lugging(under 2000rpm) it will create alot of heat, on long grades.

OEM fan usually doesn't come on untill 230ish. Recommend swapping a Hayden 2886
Following member of another site results with a 2886 swap.. tows a ~16k toyhauler in hills of western Maryland which has several 5-13mile long 5-8% grades(I've ran them myself)

oh, I can definitely hear the fan kick on. Actually, every time we are ready to climb a big pass, i turn the radio off to make sure I can hear the fan kick in. I just dont remember exactly the temp it kicks in, but its somewhere in the range of 215-225. its never kicked in as late as 230 I know that for sure. When the fan does kick in, it doesnt lower my temps at all while climbing, just slows how fast they are rising. I usually run it in 5th around 75, and once the temps get above 205, I hit OD lock out, and run it around 2400-2500 rpms at 70 the rest of the way up.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
haha. so, on that note, does anyone have some pictures of their aux coolers? Ive kind of been eyeing up the very bottom of the cooling stack. I could easily bolt a bracket to the top of my bumper and it would set the cooler right at the bottom of the stack.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
got the sensor installed. Hopefully I got the right port? the gent in the second post said 3/8th NPT. The port right at the top of the oil filter is actually 1/2 NPT. install took all of about 20 mins. I put a propane torch on the plug for about 30 seconds and it turned out with hardly any effort. I have not test drove the truck. Pulling it in and out of the shop shows about 1 or 2 degrees above the coolant temp.