LMM: Oil Pressure help

MasterN8er

Broke on a budget
Apr 28, 2020
Texas
I have a 2009 LMM with 127k miles, my oil pressure used to run at 60 when I was driving. I had an issue with my EGR cooler bypass hose and one day it drained my coolant dry on my way home from work. As I was getting ready to pull into the driveway, the oil pressure dropped to 0 and started white smoking out of the exhaust. I fixed the hose and added coolant to the fill line. Since then my truck runs anywhere from 45-55 on oil pressure. I checked my oil and I was about a quart low. I added Rotell t-4 10w 40. The oil pressure didn't change.

What could be causing it to not go as high? I haven't changed the oil yet.

Tldr;
Oil pressure not where it was at 60 before all coolant came out. Fixed and now oil pressure driving is 55. What's wrong?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well you either keep driving it and hope you didn’t kill the bearings too bad or rear into it and start inspecting engine parts.

Running that thing without coolant for who knows how long is a good way to cook parts

as the others are pointing out, start checking things over and change the oil. it wont hurt to cut the oil filter open and check for material in there if you really did hurt something

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
What are you getting those readings from? The dash, OBD scanner or a physical analog gauge?

I would do an oil change before anything else. Its possible the oil has been overheated and lost some viscousity. Also gives you a chance to check the oil for metallic particles. Maybe even send a sample out for analysis

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
In your process of fixing the truck, did you remove/replace any of the sensor connectors? Did you check your oil to see if any coolant is present?