Oil leaks

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
I was not sure where to post this as there does not seem to be a "general technical" area.
I am new to the Duramax so I am not familiar with all the common idiosyncrasies of this platform.
So would anyone care to guess where the oil is coming from this high on the engine? everything looks dry from the turbo inlet back.
Of course after it has been cleaned and in its new home it will probably be obvious but would like to address any common issues first.
The first picture is on the right side of the engine behind the alternator which has been removed, the other is the left side next to the water outlet.

Attachments

• Leakright.jpg
    Leakright.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Leakleft.jpg
    Leakleft.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 29

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
This is the LMM rollover donor engine?

Could be oil from the engine being upside down? Could be EGR? Could be PCV system?

Anyway, moved this into LMM section for you.

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
Yes this is the LMM rollover donor

I don't think it is from being upside down the oil was caked on pretty good on the fuel supply line, EGR has been deleted and it seems to be forward of the PCV, although I am going to look again at the PCV system.
Am I wrong, I would think the EGR would route exhaust gasses to the intake, not sure how that would involve oil.

with so many miles on it, it may be a small leak, there does not seem to have been an abundance of maintenance going on, in fact it looks like for the most part if it did not make the wheels turn anything unbolted stayed that way, lots of loose brackets with missing bolts everywhere, not real encouraging but it is the hand I have been dealt.