No Power steering or brakes - PS Tank overflowing

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Like the title. Fired truck up to back out and no PS or brake boost. Reservoir is overflowing when I pulled the cap. Failed pump?

Can you hear the pump making any noise?
Maybe there's a piece of debra in the suction line?
Have you ever flushed/cleaned the system?*≤
When you push the pedal is there any resistance or does it just go to the floor?

Yellowchevy

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
Fired it back up and gave it throttle and the PS worked some with it whining and the level went down some. Looking at a NAPA rem @t about $110 or AZ Duralast rem @ $88
I'm leaning NAPA

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
Can you hear the pump making any noise?
Maybe there's a piece of debra in the suction line?
Have you ever flushed/cleaned the system?*≤
When you push the pedal is there any resistance or does it just go to the floor?

Yellowchevy

Flushed about 100k ago. I have pedal but no boost. See update above. Thank you for the reply

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
I've seen those symptoms with a broken power steering pump shaft. Remove the belt and see if you can slide the pulley out of the pump.

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
You may have a "flap" inside one of your lines. Or, if your fluid became contaminated somehow, you may have a line swollen shut internally. Less common, but does happen sometimes.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I'm on my 2nd napa pump. First one didn't work worth crap right out of the box. Steering was super stiff. So I took it back and exchanged it for another one and so far it is working pretty good for the last year. It has recently started getting stiff randomly. It has a lifetime warranty so I may exchange it for another one this week.

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
I bought one from NAPA a few minutes before they closed. Swapped out the pulley and brackets ready to put in. Pulled the capplug off the reservoir and the damn thing was bent out of shape from somebody dropping it. End of story for today... I'll take the day off tomorrow, drive the wife to work and see about getting a good one. Yeah, I really would prefer new but I can't be without the truck for another day.

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
Drove it about 40 miles about 3/4 rural highway. Pump is whining some Added about 1/2 pint to get the level up. Brake rotors are all about 150 right after parking so I don't see any dragging issue. We'll see the next day or so.