No more Fox for me

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
2yrs and 20,000mi and one reservoir shock is totally blown out. I thought I ruptured a line, but no - just total failure and fluid blown past reservoir. Other side weeping. Fox today told me that’s normal service. Like hell.

Woodster

Computer Nerd
Aug 28, 2009
Utah
2yrs and 20,000mi and one reservoir shock is totally blown out. I thought I ruptured a line, but no - just total failure and fluid blown past reservoir. Other side weeping. Fox today told me that’s normal service. Like hell.

Yep, I'm right there with you. I got about 2 years 15,000 miles on my rear shocks and both of them are leaking. I haven't towed a thing. I'm moving on.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
which ones are they? they have moved alot of stuff to china but their factory race series is a different story. post some pics

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
980-24-959 up front and matching out back. I'm at work so I can't get pics yet

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I have a set of the lower cost normal non external reservoir ones were the chrome flaked of the shaft were the bearing rides most of the time and it puked. They have about 5k on them just replaced it guess I will see how long the rest last.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Not that Facenuts is the place to go for valuable unbiased information, LOL... but a LOT of complaints there about blown out shocks that are less than 2yrs old.

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
According to Fox & King, their shocks require an annual rebuild. WTF!!!

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
So that’s $85 plus shipping per shock per year?’ F that noise. They were a mice ride, but not that nice!!!!

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not that Facenuts is the place to go for valuable unbiased information, LOL... but a LOT of complaints there about blown out shocks that are less than 2yrs old.

on the silver shocks, im not surprised.

According to Fox & King, their shocks require an annual rebuild. WTF!!!

na thats bull shit BUT you guys need to realize that a quality shock like the prerunner or race series KING or race series FOX will require maintenance.

Nitrogen level should be checked every 6 months if you daily the heck out of it, once a year if shes used sparingly. Shock oil i would change almost immediately for the red racing fox oil or kings high dollar racing oil. the cheap shit they put in the shocks originally doesnt last long. Even still, every 2 years or so, i would change the oil in them. i have 4 or 5 years on my fox coilovers and have not changed the oil but it only sees 5k a year. These are on race series coilovers and no leaks still. if seals are weeping around where the shaft of the shock goes into the body, inspect the shaft for nicks or dings, it will tear up the bearing/seals inside and cause leaking. a boot isnt a bad idea since most the time these shocks are ran with the shock shaft down unlike stock where its shock shaft up. Makes them more vulnerable. A boot will help protect them.

im not making excuses for their cheap chinese line, those are what they are. just things alot of people dont think about. if you want maintenance free, stick with bilstein 5100. That is a well built shock for street use.