LB7: No Logic 3.0 (+175 HP)

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I've been building this tune for a LONG time now, and I was really happy with how it ran on my (then) mostly stock LB7. I can't use it on my current build, so I thought I'd share.

This tune dynoed 425 HP and 748 lb-ft at the rear wheels. Stock was 250 HP and 500 lb-ft on the same dyno, same day. Or, in other words, a true:
+175 HP, +248 lb-ft

But... it is +175 HP that runs really smooth (stock or better), quiet (stock sounding), gets decent mileage, and doesn't smoke much, especially at sea level. I also feel this tune won't hurt the longevity of the engine at all either. I put 70,000 miles on this tune, and my truck has 285,000 miles on it, still going strong.

Recommended mods:
- Lift pump
- BUILT TRANS!
- EGR blocked or deleted
- PPE boost increase valve

The attached tune is on Federal LB7 OS 15189044. The script is based off that, but should apply to most late-model LB7 OSes. I recommend using a Federal OS, or you can get strange issues with EGR coding or just being a pain. I had to zip the script file, because this site only allow 19kB text files, sorry.

What you need to do to run it:
- Adjust the speedometer and set the speed limiter to the rating of your tires.
- If you don't like a 600 RPM idle, copy {B0701} and {B1201} from a stock tune. But you should try it, you might like it!

Know issues:
- DIC mileage is about 10% optimistic. Never was able to make it dead on. If you know something I don't, please tell!
- Tuning is still less than ideal when the engine is cold. It is as good as stock, maybe a hair better, but I feel there is room for improvement.

Feel free to try it, mod it, whatever*! Let me know what you think. I'd love to hear your feedback, good or bad.

*Of course, use at your own risk, etc, etc. I feel this tune is safe, but I won't be responsible if something does go wrong. Also, don't sell this tune, unless you want to cut me in on the action :angel:

Attachments

• DAVe3283's No Logic 3.0.tun
    393.6 KB · Views: 733
  • DAVe3283's No Logic 3.0 (LB7 15189044 Metric).zip
    12.1 KB · Views: 424

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
What does the 600rpm idle oil pressure look like?
My truck has always had lower oil pressure than most. I want to say it was about 15 PSI at 680 RPM (stock), and 12-13 PSI at 600 RPM. Edit: nope, wasn't that bad. Pulled some logs. Right before the motor build, when the bearings had almost 300k on them, I saw 18-19 PSI at 600 RPM. It never caused any issues.

I left the same 300,000 mile oil pump on my built motor. :rockon: Though with the new bearings, oil pressure is now up to what "normal" motors make.

Last edited:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Whats the simplest way to use this on my 01 lb7?
The easiest is to apply a script. The .zip file attached to the first post contains the script.

Start with your stock tune (not an existing tune-- bone stock). Open it in EFILive V7 Tune tool. Go to Edit, and choose Configure Display Units. Click the "All" button, then the "Metric" button, then OK.

Now that EFILive is in metric, you can apply the script you downloaded. It will make all the changes to your stock OS. When the script completes, go to File, then "Save tuning file as..." and give it a new name.

Now just load it into your truck, and enjoy!

Since you have a 2001, there is a chance you might run into script errors. I've never played with a 2001 before. If there are problems, post your stock tune, and I will make the script work.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Not to derail, my LMM idles at 720 and only carries 15-18 psi oil pressure. I can run it at 4200 rpms and never see over 45-50. Been like this since new. I don't like it, is it normal. My LLY ran way higher.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
If this one dynod 425 on a CALI engine, then I guess I've been sand bagging about what mine is to people:D. Been telling people mine might be 400 and I'm running a touch more pulse, a good bit more timing, and bring the fuel in a good bit sooner. Pretty simliar for the most part, still trying to clean it up in the 50-75% throttle range before it's really on boost.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
This tune is awesome, see about a 3mpg increase too over my old edge evo.
Thanks a lot! :nanawrench:
Sure thing, I always got good mileage with it. Glad you enjoy it!
If this one dynod 425 on a CALI engine, then I guess I've been sand bagging about what mine is to people:D. Been telling people mine might be 400 and I'm running a touch more pulse, a good bit more timing, and bring the fuel in a good bit sooner. Pretty simliar for the most part, still trying to clean it up in the 50-75% throttle range before it's really on boost.
It had EGR blocked and a built trans, but CA heads.

I went through and found the dyno sheets. It was running a correction factor, which I don't like. When you take the correction factor out, it made 395 HP / 748 ft-lb, vs. 241 HP / 462 ft-lb stock. Still a +154 HP / +287 ft-lb tune. See the chart below with the correction factor taken out:
NoLogic3DynoNoCorrection.jpg

I found any more pulse than that and it would haze more than I liked. I dialed that tune to be pretty clean for normal driving. If my truck was still stock, I'd still be running it. (And that might have been a better plan :eek:)

Attachments

• NoLogic3DynoNoCorrection.jpg
    NoLogic3DynoNoCorrection.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 130

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I run a 2250 in mine at 28 lbs of boost. Anymore and it hazes more than my liking, and I don't want to push my turbo any harder, so it stays there. Got my timing pushed up a good bit furthur in mine up top, but pulled out down low for spoolup. From a stop it is almost smokeless, but from a roll it blasts out more than I would like. It's still a work in progress. Took me the most time so far getting it to hold full 100mm3 of fuel and not surge coming out of defuel. The torque table is a tricky sob once your past the defuel requst points.

roubo8895

Nov 18, 2015
I probably know but not connecting the two, what is DIC mileage? Also what stage trans did you have in the truck to hold this tune?

2002 gmc 2500 hd, lb7, 5 inch diamond eye

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I probably know but not connecting the two, what is DIC mileage? Also what stage trans did you have in the truck to hold this tune?

2002 gmc 2500 hd, lb7, 5 inch diamond eye

DIC= Driver Info Center

For that tune specifically, probably just a basic upgraded clutch pack of frictions and a kolene steel set...

Like PPE's Stg 4 trans kit

I don't think you'd really have to have a better converter for that power level, but if the one you've got has miles on it, now is the time
http://www.pacificp.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=58

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
=
DIC= Driver Info Center

For that tune specifically, probably just a basic upgraded clutch pack of frictions and a kolene steel set...

Like PPE's Stg 4 trans kit

I don't think you'd really have to have a better converter for that power level, but if the one you've got has miles on it, now is the time
http://www.pacificp.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=58

A stock converter is just as weak as the stock clutches, so why upgrade and not do the converter. From the looks of this tune, it's pretty close to mine, si i would say a ppe stage 4 and a triple disk converter. I know even with an ml low stall, i still don't get lockup until the 3-4 shift. I would imagine with the looser stock converter, you'd never get lockup at wot.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I actually ran this tune with a stock trans for a while, but it absolutely destroyed my torque converter over time, in addition to limping 5th pretty easily. I then had MikeL build my trans with everything but billet shafts, and all was well in the world until the bug bit me again, and I upgraded my turbo, then a built motor, and now where does it even end? :D

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
So as a followup, if you live in an area with the plug-in OBD emissions test (California), you have to run the stock idle RPM. The EGR diagnostic has a hard-coded RPM before the test can run, and the 600 RPM idle in this tune is below that threshold, so the EGR system monitor never goes ready. In CA, at least, that means it won't pass smog.

Just copy {B0701} and {B1201} from a stock tune to get the stock idle back, and the EGR monitor will go ready, and you'll pass smog.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
never had that problem on my LB7. ran it at 500 RPM for years. a smog shop once told me that you can have one monitor not ready and still pass. two monitors or a CEL and fail. the good thing is he would hook up the scanner and check this before linking up with the EPA/CARB for the test so if there was an issue he wouldn't have to fail your truck and bill you for it too:woott: