LB7: No Logic 3.0 (+175 HP)

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
We tried 2 different smog shops, and both said the policy is that all monitors must be ready. Perhaps that is new, as I never had problems before this year? Either way, the machine failed the truck for the monitor not ready, but once we put the idle back and the monitor went ready, it passed with flying colors.

Stinking CARB, what a waste of my time :mad:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Search for the JoshH timing calculator. It gets you started and then when you get better you can tweak it to your liking

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Search for the JoshH timing calculator. It gets you started and then when you get better you can tweak it to your liking
^^ Exactly.

I started with the timing calculator, and played with different percentages to see how it ran, and eventually ended up writing the timing tables you see in the tune. As I mentioned in the beginning, I spent a LOT of time dialing that tune to run how I liked, so don't think you can just mash a number into a spreadsheet and get something that looks like this tune. It will take you time.

1qkfwd

Nov 24, 2015
Ya I've seen the calculator. When I opened your tune it didn't look like one that had been ran through a calculator. I know finding wot timing can be a bit of an issue.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Ya I've seen the calculator. When I opened your tune it didn't look like one that had been ran through a calculator. I know finding wot timing can be a bit of an issue.
It doesn't look that way now, but that's how I started. Add in several years of experimenting and theorizing, and you get the timing table in the tune.

Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to replicate the timing values in this tune except for experience. Or just plain rip them off, as I said in the OP, do what you want with the tune, just don't sell it :thumb:

Sent from my FlashScan V2

1qkfwd

Nov 24, 2015
The table looks good. I've been looking at a ton of stuff that has been posted by others, and holy hell there's some hacked up tuners out there.

I tune a ton of boosted gas stuff and currently even have a couple turbo record with my eclipse. I love tuning myself and decided to venture out to diesel stuff since I own one. I didn't want to use your tune just more so curious what you approach to dialing in the timing was. It's seems to be what some call "black magic" in finding the right numbers.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Just keep in mind that gasser timing to diesel timing is like an apple and an orange. Much of the knowledge for gassers should be thrown out when tuning a diesel

1qkfwd

Nov 24, 2015
Ya I learned that in the beginning. Would be nice if there was an easier way to monitor cylinder pressures. Seems like the only sure fire way to get the timing right where it needs to be.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Something to be aware of is the diesels use timing totally differently, and it is highly interdependent with pulse width, and even pilot injection. Running 20° timing with a 2000 us pulse will run smoothly. With a 500 us pulse it will rattle like a Cummins.

It isn't really "black magic", just a bit harder to wrap your head around than gas tuning, IMO. I tune my family's gas motors as well, and I always find them easier.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
One other thing I learned with tuning my sac's is to also watch out for the size of your pilot injection quantity. With a stock pilot pulse table, I was getting a weird surge with a cold engine. Turns out the pilot shot with the oversized injectors had enough extra fuel that I was actually getting 2 combustion events. The pilot shot was large enough that it was firing, then it was firing again for the main shot. Had me freaking out on the timing.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Hey, I can’t get this tune onto my autocal v3
purchase a V3 and link your autocal to it. then use them to link the tune to your autocal. but if you get the V3 you might as well just use that to load it