No courtesy light with driver door only

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have a weird issue that I have been dealing with for a while, but I decided to look into it recently. We have a 2012 Silverado that we purchased a while back for the shop to haul stuff and pick up parts. Ever since we got it, the interior lights would not turn on with the driver door, but they turn on with every other door. The truck knows the door is open though because when you open the door, the dinger dings with the key in the ignition and the RAP kills the radio. I thought maybe it was a faulty BCM since it controls that stuff, but I swapped in a new (used) BCM, and it is still doing the same thing. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Nothing else seems to be affected by whatever is going on. I don't even have a guess anymore what the problem could be. FYI, it is the LTZ interior that sends door switch information across the data lines rather than going to the BCM directly from the door switch.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
from GM SI, might help?? if you want more, lemme know but im thinking the door switch or ground issue at the door switch?

Circuit/System Description
Voltage for the courtesy lamps is supplied from body control module (BCM), driver door switch, and passenger door switch . When a door is opened, a signal is applied to the door module. The door module then applies a message on the low speed GMLAN serial data communication circuit to the BCM to activate the courtesy lamps. The BCM then applies voltage to the courtesy lamps voltage supply circuit and the components on that circuit.

Reference InformationSchematic Reference
Interior Lights Schematics

Connector End View Reference
Component Connector End Views

Description and Operation
Interior Lighting Systems Description and Operation

Electrical Information Reference
Scan Tool Reference
Control Module References for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification
  1. Command the Courtesy Lamps ON and OFF with a scan tool. The courtesy lamps should turn ON and OFF when changing between the commanded states.
    • If the courtesy lamps do not turn ON and OFF when commanded, refer to Courtesy Lamp Malfunction.
  2. Observe the scan tool Driver Door Switch, Driver Door Ajar Sw. parameter while opening and closing the driver door. The reading should change between Active and Inactive.
    • If the Driver Door Ajar Sw. parameter does not change between Active and Inactive, refer to Door Open Switch Malfunction – Front.
  3. Observe the scan tool Passenger Door Switch, Passenger Door Ajar Sw. parameter while opening and closing the front passenger door. The reading should change between Active and Inactive.
    • If the Passenger Door Ajar Sw. parameter does not change between Active and Inactive, refer to Door Open Switch Malfunction – Front.
  4. Observe the scan tool Ctsy. Lamp Actv. Reason parameter while opening and closing each rear door one at a time. The reading should change between Door Open and Door Closed
    • If the Ctsy. Lamp Actv. Reason parameter does not change between Door Open and Door Closed, refer to Door Open Switch Malfunction – Rear.
  5. All doors closed, observe the scan tool Ctsy. Lamp Actv. Reason parameter while turning the dome lamp switch ON and OFF. The reading should change between Off and Manual.
    • If the Ctsy. Lamp Actv. Reason parameter does not change between Off and Manual, refer to Dome/Interior Lamp Switch Malfunction.
  6. All doors closed, observe the scan tool Ctsy. Lamp Actv. Reason parameter while turning the interior lamp defeat switch ON and OFF. The reading should change between Off and Manual Defeat.
    • If the Ctsy. Lamp Actv. Reason parameter does not change between Off and Manual, refer to Dome/Interior Lamp Switch Malfunction.
  7. Turn the individual reading lamps ON and OFF with their respective switches. The reading lamps should turn ON and OFF when changing between the selected states.
    • If any reading lamp does not turn ON and OFF when selected, refer to Reading Lamps Malfunction.
  8. Turn the left and right vanity mirror lamps ON and OFF with their respective switches. The vanity mirror lamps should turn ON and OFF when changing between the selected states.
    • If any reading lamp does not turn ON and OFF when selected, refer to Vanity Mirror Lighting Malfunction.
  9. Command the Courtesy Lamp ON and OFF with a scan tool. Verify the exterior illumination lamps turn ON and OFF.
    • If the exterior illumination lamps do not change between ON and OFF, refer to Outside Rearview Mirror Illumination Malfunction.
Circuit/System TestingCourtesy Lamp Malfunction
  1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the appropriate courtesy lamp.
  2. Test for less than 5 Ω between the ground circuit terminal and ground.
    • If greater than the specified range, test the ground circuit for an open/high resistance.
  3. Connect a test lamp between the control circuit terminal and the ground circuit terminal.
  4. Ignition ON, command the Courtesy Lamps ON and OFF with the scan tool. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF.
    • If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
    • If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
  5. If all circuits test normal, replace the courtesy lamp.
Door Open Switch Malfunction – Front w/AN3
  1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the door latch assembly.
  2. Test for less than 10.0 Ω between the ground circuit terminal listed below and ground.
    • Driver door latch – terminal 8
    • Passenger door latch – terminal 3
    • If greater than the specified range, test the ground circuit for an open/high resistance.
  3. Ignition ON, verify the scan tool Door Ajar Switch parameter is INACTIVE.
    • If the scan tool displays ACTIVE, test the signal circuit terminal listed below for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the door control module.
    • Driver door open switch – terminal 6
    • Passenger door open switch – terminal 1
  4. Install a 3 A fused jumper wire between the signal circuit terminal listed below and ground. Verify the scan tool Door Open Switch parameter is ACTIVE.
    • Driver door open switch – terminal 6
    • Passenger door open switch – terminal 1
    • If not the specified value, test the signal circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the door control module.
  5. If all circuits test normal, replace the door latch assembly.
Door Open Switch Malfunction – Front w/o AN3
  1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the door latch assembly.
  2. Test for less than 10.0 Ω between the ground circuit terminal listed below and ground.
    • Terminal 8 (with AU3)
    • Terminal 6 (without AU3)
  3. Ignition ON, verify the scan tool Door Ajar Switch parameter is INACTIVE.
    • If the scan tool displays ACTIVE, test the signal circuit terminal 9 for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
  4. Install a 3 A fused jumper wire between signal circuit terminal 9 and ground. Verify the scan tool Door Ajar Switch parameter is ACTIVE.
    • If not the specified value, test the signal circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
  5. If all circuits test normal, replace the door latch assembly.
Door Open Switch Malfunction – Rear
  1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the rear door latch assembly.
  2. Interior lamps OFF, test for less than 10.0 Ω between the ground circuit terminal listed below and ground.
    • Left rear door latch assembly – terminal 6
    • Right rear door latch assembly – terminal 3
  3. Ignition ON, verify a test lamp illuminates between the door open switch signal circuit terminal listed below and ground.
    • Left rear door open switch – terminal 4
    • Right rear door open switch – terminal 1
    • If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the signal circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
  4. Install a 3 A fused jumper wire between the signal circuit terminal listed below and ground. Verify the courtesy lamps illuminate and remain illuminated.
    • Left rear door open switch – terminal 4
    • Right rear door open switch – terminal 1
    • If the courtesy lamps do not remain illuminated, test the signal circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
  5. If all circuits test normal, replace the rear door latch assembly.
Dome/Interior Lamp Switch Malfunction
  1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the headlamp and panel dimmer switch.
  2. Test for less than 5 Ω between the ground circuit terminal 8 and ground.
  3. Ignition ON, verify the scan tool Ctsy. Lamp Actv. Reason parameter is Off.
    • If the scan tool parameter is Manual or Manual Defeat, test the signal circuit terminal listed below for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
    • Manual terminal 12
    • Manual Defeat terminal 9
  4. Install a 3 A fused jumper wire between the signal circuit terminal 12 and the ground circuit terminal 8. Verify the scan tool Ctsy. Lamp Actv. Reason parameter is Manual.
    • If not the specified value, test the signal circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
  5. Install a 3 A fused jumper wire between the signal circuit terminal 9 and the ground circuit terminal 8. Verify the scan tool Ctsy. Lamp Actv. Reason parameter is Manual Defeat.
  6. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the headlamp and panel dimmer switch.
Reading Lamps Malfunction
  1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the X2 harness connector at the BCM.
  2. Verify a test lamp illuminates between the IS LPS fuse B+ circuit terminal 1 and ground.
    • If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the B+ circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance.
  3. Reconnect the X2 harness connector at the BCM.
  4. Disconnect the harness connector at the appropriate courtesy/reading lamp assembly.
  5. Scan tool OFF, doors CLOSED, interior lamps OFF, test for less than 5.0 Ω between the ground circuit terminal B and ground.
  6. Verify a test lamp illuminates between the control circuit terminal C and ground.
    • If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the control circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
  7. Remove the IS LPS fuse and verify the test lamp turns OFF.
    • If the test lamp remains illuminated, test the control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
  8. If all circuits test normal, replace the courtesy/reading lamp assembly.
Vanity Mirror Lighting Malfunction
  1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the appropriate vanity mirror lamp.
  2. Test for less than 5 Ω between the ground circuit terminal B and ground.
  3. Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp illuminates between the signal circuit terminal A and ground.
    • If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the signal circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
  4. Connect the harness connector at the vanity mirror lamp.
  5. Remove the IS LPS fuse and verify the test lamp turns OFF.
    • If the test lamp remains illuminated, test the control circuit for a short to voltage. If the circuit tests normal, replace the BCM.
  6. If all circuits test normal, replace the vanity mirror lamp.
Outside Rearview Mirror Illumination Malfunction
  1. Disconnect the harness connector at the appropriate exterior illumination lamp.
  2. Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp illuminates between the exterior illumination lamp supply circuit terminal and ground.
    • If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the exterior illumination lamp supply circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance.
  3. Connect a test lamp between the low side control circuit terminal and the exterior illumination lamp supply circuit terminal.
  4. Command the Puddle/Courtesy Lamp ON and OFF with a scan tool. The test lamp should turn ON and OFF when changing between the commanded states.
    • If the test lamp is always ON, test the control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the inoperative door switch.
    • If the test lamp is always OFF, test the control circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the inoperative door switch.
  5. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the exterior illumination lamp.
Repair Instructions
Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Right after I posted this, I had a thought that maybe it was the door module (aka window switch assembly) not sending a signal somehow even though the dinger worked and RAP turned off with the door. I swapped it for a known good one, and the dome light started working. What's weird is both show the input is working (switches from active to inactive when open or closed) at the door module, but the information in the BCM doesn't change for either even though the dome light works with one and not with the other. I guess I'm going to take the victory and not worry about the reason.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Right after I posted this, I had a thought that maybe it was the door module (aka window switch assembly) not sending a signal somehow even though the dinger worked and RAP turned off with the door. I swapped it for a known good one, and the dome light started working. What's weird is both show the input is working (switches from active to inactive when open or closed) at the door module, but the information in the BCM doesn't change for either even though the dome light works with one and not with the other. I guess I'm going to take the victory and not worry about the reason.

i was looking at a schematic and it looks like it houses a few different switches in there so i assume the one that was needed for lights just wasnt working.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
i was looking at a schematic and it looks like it houses a few different switches in there so i assume the one that was needed for lights just wasnt working.
It was a programming issue. I reinstalled the original switch and programmed it with the VIN, and it fixed the dome light and the cooled seat that I forgot wasn’t working either. Someone must have swapped a switch out of a truck that didn’t have cooled seats.