Nitrous basics

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I have no windsheild washing experience.:confused:

It may or may not be applicable here, but everything I said was true! And you know it. You misunderstood my above post, took the opposing side, and now that you know what I was saying you won't admit that is correct.

Killerbee

Got Honey?
I am not disagreeing with you. I really don't understand your post, so I can't.

Consider another contrasting example...sleet. Rain cools as it passes through a cold air mass, and freezes. It is moving at terminal velocity, and it still freezes at 31 degrees, every time.

:eek: Still want to argue?

Last edited:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I am not disagreeing with you. I really don't understand your post, so I can't.

Consider another contrasting example...freezing rain. Rain cools as it passes through a cold air mass, and freezes. It is moving at terminal velocity, and it still freezes at 31 degrees, every time.

:eek: Still want to argue?

This is it and I will step aside. That water is not in our intake tract being swirled around. I am not arguing the freezing temp. of water. Yes, it freezes at 32*. I said water in motion has mechanical energy that must be removed thermally before it will freeze. Moving water takes longer to freeze (because of mechanical energy) and stagnant water.....in the same ambient conditions.

No, cause you will blow my little ole ME degree away with spreadsheets that only work on the dark side of the moon:eek:

Last edited:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
As a pilot caught with my pants down in a thunderstorm, being swirled around is not fun, expecially with the family along. Always pack extra pants. :)

Coulda swore I saw the East Witch up there.

Haha, guess I should double check my post before posting.:rofl:

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
BS

How do you think a snow making machine works on a ski hill. By spraying water VAPOUR into the air which freezes QUICKLY and lands on the ground as ice crystals(snowflakes).

I'm pretty sure the molecules in that vapour are moving.:p

But it needs to be -10C (about 14F) for them to make snow as if it was just 0C it would just make rain.

You may want to look into supercooled water. I'll still take that apology when you're ready.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwUdrgC1Uyc[/YOUTUBE]

I guess the video isn't showing up right. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwUdrgC1Uyc

This supercooled water shows nothing as you can superheat water too it is more about what it is cooled/heated in and how slow you cool/heat it. Use a glass bowl that is as clean as it can be and fill it part way cool/heat it slowly over 3-5 hours you can make it colder then its freezing point or hotter then its boiling point. If you try the hot way watch out as you can make water explode...

But what do I know I just cut steel for a living.

Steve

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Pat, what i said was( or tried to say)

N/A gas motors (900+Ci)run higher C/R than we do up to 18.1..

Turbo and blower gas motors run between 11.1-14.2 CR AND turn about 60 lbs of boost

Some are blown alcohol with 60+ of boost and 14.2 CR and 9k rpm With cylinder psi you could only dream of 8-12kpsi, accually all of these listed are running higher than 5,500PSI cylinder psi.

You have a lot to research it seems.

Now where did i ever say 50+lbs of boost with 15.1 compression......i bet this is just another one of your construded, made up, never happened statements........

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Wrong!

Big CI N/A motors or mountain motors and blown/ turbo motors ALL see 1700* consistently, and some run higher compression than we do, and to make things worse the turbo/blower #'s are close to 50PSI now....

the P/M and T/S guys are doing things that you wouldent imagine with gasoline engines....

But most Dont spray with the above combo, But in that case compression would drop to about 11.1-14.1, which still is alot higher than your giving credit for:D

There's your post. Diesel compression can top 22:1. Boost has been taken over 120psi. EGT's have been over 2000 deg. All are areas somewhat unique in motorsports. But it's not unheard of to go 17.5:1, 60psi boost, and bury the pyro, all at the same time with a turbo diesel, something absolutely unique, and not matched by your fictional gas engine.

So it's not that you're just wrong about gas engines or alcohol engines being exposed to higher levels of these metrics than diesels, but nobody really believes you run 50psi on gas combined with more compression than diesels run.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
There's your post. Diesel compression can top 22:1. Boost has been taken over 120psi. EGT's have been over 2000 deg. All are areas somewhat unique in motorsports. But it's not unheard of to go 17.5:1, 60psi boost, and bury the pyro, all at the same time with a turbo diesel, something absolutely unique, and not matched by your fictional gas engine.

So it's not that you're just wrong about gas engines or alcohol engines being exposed to higher levels of these metrics than diesels, but nobody really believes you run 50psi on gas combined with more compression than diesels run.

You said gas engines dont see anything near to what we do on diesels......(except top fuel)Well i proved you wrong! With facts!

The fact is that we dont see what they do in terms of cylinder psi and RPM.

Show me a racing diesel v-8 with 22.1 compression.:rolleyes:..........Not gonna happen, not in a racing engine with nitrous .

Im not sure if you dont understand, or dont want to....

It seems You make up stuff as you go, Pat.....:confused:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

If those links aren't "more than diesel compression combined with 50psi boost at the same time", don't bother. All I see there is a 16:1 compression option on a NA engine. No boost. That's lower compression that the lowest GM diesel compression, which is 16.8:1.

Samdweezel05

Jul 21, 2008
How do N/A race engins running 15:1 cr and nitrous have anything to do with this arguement? Did I miss something?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
How do N/A race engins running 15:1 cr and nitrous have anything to do with this arguement? Did I miss something?

I made a comment that diesels aren't like other racing engines. We run more compression, more boost, and higher EGT's than other race engines.

And he says that's lie, that gasoline engines run more of everything. Can't argue with that I suppose. If he says it's true, it must be.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
I made a comment that diesels aren't like other racing engines. We run more compression, more boost, and higher EGT's than other race engines.

And he says that's lie, that gasoline engines run more of everything. Can't argue with that I suppose. If he says it's true, it must be.

Show me where i EVER said that gasoline engines run more of everything!!!!!

You said that not me.

Back to nitrous....:rolleyes:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
If anyone is in the Western PA area and would like to monitor their Chamber Pressures while running Nitrous, I would really like to wire you up.