Nitro Worm Gear Differentials

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Good Morning guys,

I have a customer who was interested in these differentials and I have not personally used them, nor has anyone else in my orbit. Online searches on the diesel forums didnt turn up much. Let me know if you've had experience with them, good or bad, in both daily driving scenarios and in competition.

Thanks!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
if they are a torsen type differential then there are plenty that have used that type. they are just known by a different name

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I haven't used the Nitro or Yukon versions, I've only used the Eaton/Detroit TrueTrac. My TrueTrac has been flawless for 35k miles with the last couple seasons north of 1200hp and it hasn't skipped a beat.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Yeah. I've used the Eatons a bunch and a few Yukon Grizzlys, I need feedback on Nitro's version specifically. Kind of like their G2 gearsets have driveability flaws and I'd never run them in a high HP build...

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yeah. I've used the Eatons a bunch and a few Yukon Grizzlys, I need feedback on Nitro's version specifically. Kind of like their G2 gearsets have driveability flaws and I'd never run them in a high HP build...
This may sound dumb but why fix what isn't broken? If the other two options are extremely proven why go down a different road? There is a minimal price difference between them.

I've personally had my fair share of issues with Nitro gearsets which is why I now stick to OEM gearsets or Yukon and only use Timken bearings.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
This may sound dumb but why fix what isn't broken? If the other two options are extremely proven why go down a different road? There is a minimal price difference between them.

I've personally had my fair share of issues with Nitro gearsets which is why I now stick to OEM gearsets or Yukon and only use Timken bearings.

Not my choice. I dont peddle parts. My goal is to sell and install what has been proven to work through first-hand experience. If people that I consider to be expremely reliable and experienced sources tell me they have used something effectively and reliably, I'll consider using it. Until then, I don't want any part of it for my customers. It opens me up to risk of a comeback that I don't have time for, and so far, my record over 10yrs is nearly perfect. I thought the parts aftermarket had reached a low in 2016ish in terms of quality, but due to the past 2yrs of tough economic stressors, I don't 100% trust any manufacturers anymore. They don't tell anyone when they have to cut corners to fulfill orders in reasonable time. More often, it's always a sales pitch about how they increased reliability or effectiveness or value when in actuality they had to use parts that are from a different vendor or changed their process and the parts probably weren't tested properly. Seen it time and time again.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Not my choice. I dont peddle parts. My goal is to sell and install what has been proven to work through first-hand experience. If people that I consider to be expremely reliable and experienced sources tell me they have used something effectively and reliably, I'll consider using it. Until then, I don't want any part of it for my customers. It opens me up to risk of a comeback that I don't have time for, and so far, my record over 10yrs is nearly perfect. I thought the parts aftermarket had reached a low in 2016ish in terms of quality, but due to the past 2yrs of tough economic stressors, I don't 100% trust any manufacturers anymore. They don't tell anyone when they have to cut corners to fulfill orders in reasonable time. More often, it's always a sales pitch about how they increased reliability or effectiveness or value when in actuality they had to use parts that are from a different vendor or changed their process and the parts probably weren't tested properly. Seen it time and time again.
Gotcha, those are the kinds of customers I tell to go elsewhere for that exact reason. I stick to what's proven which is why the TrueTrac is my go-to limited slip. If it hasn't broken in the abuse I've personally put mine through it's more than capable to handle what my customers will throw at it.

I wish I had some experience to give on the Nitro but I simply have been far too pleased with other options to go down that road. I hope the customer ends up listening to your recommendation in going with a proven product.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I have no Experience with that brand. Some of the aftermarket gearsets are hit and miss even if you do everything right.

Tell them flat out, You have no experience with that product and you can't stand behind it. If it is that important, they will either buy something you will stand behind or they will go else where to save money.

I know I don't have to tell you but I just want to throw this out there. For the few dollars the customer saves, It's not worth the headache if it comes back.

Reactions: Bdsankey

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013

I haven’t personally had nitro stuff (well one of my rigs has their gears which I didn’t install)

But I do see a lot of negative stuff about their product in the Toyota world

Reactions: Bdsankey

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
I have no Experience with that brand. Some of the aftermarket gearsets are hit and miss even if you do everything right.

Tell them flat out, You have no experience with that product and you can't stand behind it. If it is that important, they will either buy something you will stand behind or they will go else where to save money.

I know I don't have to tell you but I just want to throw this out there. For the few dollars the customer saves, It's not worth the headache if it comes back.

Yeah man. I turn away more work than I take in, been that way for several years. I am interested in hearing what people's experience is with these units though, regardless. SEMA and PRI and the magazines are great about introducing new product info, but one thing I value most about this forum particularly is the wisdom and experience that some long-term members here have, which is why I posted this here and nowhere else. I'm just a dude out here in New England making sure local farmers can keep farming and have a little fun on friday night.

CDmax16

Mar 3, 2018
NNV
I installed the Nitro unit along with their 4.30 gears about 3 years ago. I haven’t had any issues and the gears are pretty quiet. The posi unit came in a Nitro box, but it had AAM cast into the body. I suspect it is the same unit that AAM puts in the Ram rear ends.

EE973601-77F0-4985-84D7-6214B3E601CD.jpeg

Reactions: juddski88

CDmax16

Mar 3, 2018
NNV
I put Nitro gears in the front, no posi. Both gear sets were easy to get a good pattern, and run pretty quiet.