Nice Wiha Driver for Allen Heads

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
As if my obsession with German tools wasn't fueled enough by Knipex, I've now gotten hooked on Wiha. I tried the three major German brands (Wera, Witte, Felo, Wiha) and the Wiha was my favorite. Particularily the Microfinish ones. Most of a though their tips are raved about everywhere and the really do a good job.

They are not expensive either. Less than truck brands but more than store brands. They've got some pretty innovative stuff. I have their allen "L" wrench sets that look like a normal set but when you twist one wrench to get it out they all twist.

Anyways this post is about their "Magic Ring" Allen Ball drivers. I just got these and put them to use on the injectors I did yesterday. They really are a lifesaver. They don't allow as much of an angle as a regular ball head and their length can be an issue as much as it is and advantage, but overall they are great.

The magic ring is a sprung ring that holds the allen screw at any angle. Its great for removing and installing valve cover bolts. I used to use my little 7v Snap-On gun with a long ball socket because it didn't have enough power to hurt anything. I can remove and install much quicker with the Wiha though due to not having to worry about dropping the screw and my hands can drive close to the speed of the driver.

I like them a lot and would reccommend any of Wiha's drivers.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1362807180569.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362807180569.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 167
  • uploadfromtaptalk1362807195401.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1362807195401.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 145

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
You can order direct or from a german importer. Chadstoolbox is one but there are others too. You can also find a lot of them on Amazon. That was where I got these. Just go to Wihas site and browse through their catalog then search Amazon for the numbers.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Very nice,i love my Wera sets i have but dam are they expensive.I want the 1/2 inch set but 400 is a lot just for the metric set.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
gupedypu.jpg

This is what I keep at my machine and a few of the smaller ones. I love them.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Very nice. Do those have the magic ring on them? I was going to try a set of their Torx with the magic ring. I really want the Microfinish torx as I like it so much better than the soft finish but if the magic ring works as good as on the allens It would be worth it just for that.

Heres some pictures of some of my other Wihas.

The Ergostar allen wrenchs. I have them in Metric and SAE. When you pivot one all of them pivot so that you can get them out easier and quicker. pretty neat. They are a little long though.

20130316_133602_zps87d2b0f4.jpg

20130316_133616_zpsc6ff6424.jpg

Hollow shaft nut drivers in SAE and Metric.

20130316_133341_zpsd7e8c334.jpg

The full set of the metric ball headed allen Magic ring drivers. ordering the SAE soon.

20130316_133539_zps3296d99e.jpg

Set of their Microfinish Heavy Duty screwdrivers. They have the metal shaft all the way through so you can beat on them. Also have the hex so you can use a wrench for extra leverage.Since they have such great tips they actually work great this way unlike my craftsmans which just shattered tips when doing that.

20130316_133209_zps9cf8126a.jpg

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
The ones I have now do not have the locking ring. The looking ring makes them a bit weaker we found. The guys that are stupid at work were breaking. Part of that is they don't use the right ones for the job.

As using a Torx 15 on a Torx plus 15 screw. It just does not work out good for the driver or the screw.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
The ones I have now do not have the locking ring. The looking ring makes them a bit weaker we found. The guys that are stupid at work were breaking. Part of that is they don't use the right ones for the job.

As using a Torx 15 on a Torx plus 15 screw. It just does not work out good for the driver or the screw.

No that would not work well. I don't use torx drivers a ton and when I do it seems to be mostly dash and trim stuff. I think the lock ring would be nicer there. I won't see as much use I am sure as what it sounds yours do. They'd see more than a hobbyist but I really don't run into a lot of torx on our equipment and if it is heavy I use a socket. If its torx plus, I don't cheat it. i use torx plus. Every time you try to cut a corner it seems to bite you in the end.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
If for mostly dash stuff they will be great I loved them but we were killing them left and right. We use them on carbide inserts screws. Lots of people over torque them and that does not help.

For you, you will love the locking rings for the ones way under there.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
ok whats the different between torx and torx plus?

Torx is pointed. Torx plus is rounded. In laymens terms. Torx plus will take more torque before stripping/cam-out.

You can use a torx tool in a torx-plus but not the other way around. I wouldn't reccommend it though.

Ill attach a picture.

Attachments

• torx_vs_torxplus.jpg
    torx_vs_torxplus.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 9