NHRDA going 1/8 mile for SS and PS

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
not really. pro street rig hitting high 7s and low 8s in the 1/4 is fast as hell. im sure SFI was not exactly happy with that amount of weight going down the track that fast under their certification.

personally i would have rather seen some changes made to weights and rules to accommodate so the 1/4 could still be ran (1/8 mile to me is just half a drag strip)

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
not really. 6000lbs rig hitting high 7s and low 8s in the 1/4 is fast as hell. im sure SFI was not exactly happy with that amount of weight going down the track that fast under their certification.

personally i would have rather seen some changes made to weights and rules to accommodate so the 1/4 could still be ran (1/8 mile to me is just half a drag strip)

Exactly how I feel, 1/8th is just half of a real race. On the other hand that much weight is starting to become a concern at that weight

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Who wants to race 1/8 mile. Just don’t let baca run and everyone will be safe. Hell they have that semi with the jet strapped to it going down the 1/4 and I’m sure it’s over 6000lbs

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I think this is a good move. I've been involved in one crash and had another very close call on the drag strip. When going through the finish line at over 140mph and having a car just miss clipping my rear end made me realize that i was very lucky. I was a couple of feet away from most likely barrel rolling a 6000lb truck at over 140mph, I'd likely be dead or royally screwed up for life. I understand that racing is not a safe sport and i accept that. I also agree with rule changes that will help the safety of everyone involved.

We over built the roll cage in Max'd Out using 2" bars throughout. Now that we are all over 150mph and some way faster, the current 8.5 cert's are in no way safe at 6000lbs IMO. I believe the diesel racing organizations and racers have been very lucky that no one has been hurt. I think this rule will help, as having a crash at 120mph is way different than 150+mph.

Also i think this will help have more racers in the field as it matches the Outlaw races as far as 1/8 mile. Now trucks that have gearing setup for the 1/8 and race the outlaw series, maybe will cross over to NHRDA. Also less breakage and less down time for track clean up.

I do race quite a bit 1/8 mile in my gas cars throughout the year. It may not be as fun for the spectators but it still is a blast for the driver. I recommend trying it before condemning the 1/8 mile.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
not really. 6000lbs rig hitting high 7s and low 8s in the 1/4 is fast as hell. im sure SFI was not exactly happy with that amount of weight going down the track that fast under their certification.
Not that I disagree with the safety aspect, but I don't think any 6,000 lb truck is running low 8s/high 7s. I know they are running that fast in pro street, but I'm 99.9% sure the new cert that allows them to run 7.99 is only good up to 5,000 lbs.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Not that I disagree with the safety aspect, but I don't think any 6,000 lb truck is running low 8s/high 7s. I know they are running that fast in pro street, but I'm 99.9% sure the new cert that allows them to run 7.99 is only good up to 5,000 lbs.

you are correct. i was thinking of lavons 7.99 thinking it was in the super street class. record for super street is 8.7. i changed my post lol :D

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
It's a good move, the PS and SS trucks are getting too fast for 1/4 mile racing to be safe. If you have ever raced much 1/8 mile you'd quickly find out that it's more a driver's race. Things happen fast and sand bagging is at a minimum. These quicker trucks will be be hauling ass at 1/8 mile. :woott:

sickdiesel

Apr 22, 2010
It's a good move, the PS and SS trucks are getting too fast for 1/4 mile racing to be safe. If you have ever raced much 1/8 mile you'd quickly find out that it's more a driver's race. Things happen fast and sand bagging is at a minimum. These quicker trucks will be be hauling ass at 1/8 mile. :woott:

itll make R/T even more important which is a good thing. yes the trucks will still have to be stupid fast but it can make some people with a bit slower trucks more competitive if they are good on the tree.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Seems like many guys like 1/4 cause it's easier to compare times. Not many people talk about 1/8. I personally like 1/8. 60ft is the most important part of a race. Driver does not change anything in the back half.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
I think this is a good move. I've been involved in one crash and had another very close call on the drag strip. When going through the finish line at over 140mph and having a car just miss clipping my rear end made me realize that i was very lucky. I was a couple of feet away from most likely barrel rolling a 6000lb truck at over 140mph, I'd likely be dead or royally screwed up for life. I understand that racing is not a safe sport and i accept that. I also agree with rule changes that will help the safety of everyone involved.

We over built the roll cage in Max'd Out using 2" bars throughout. Now that we are all over 150mph and some way faster, the current 8.5 cert's are in no way safe at 6000lbs IMO. I believe the diesel racing organizations and racers have been very lucky that no one has been hurt. I think this rule will help, as having a crash at 120mph is way different than 150+mph.

Also i think this will help have more racers in the field as it matches the Outlaw races as far as 1/8 mile. Now trucks that have gearing setup for the 1/8 and race the outlaw series, maybe will cross over to NHRDA. Also less breakage and less down time for track clean up.

I do race quite a bit 1/8 mile in my gas cars throughout the year. It may not be as fun for the spectators but it still is a blast for the driver. I recommend trying it before condemning the 1/8 mile.

Had to say “Car” didn’t ya ��... All joking aside, glad we are both around today. We were so close, that we thought we touched and spent time looking for damage to Robs truck. Shit happened fast, even though I had the lead, I ended up crossing behind Rob as he passed by. Only thing that saved me from a 160+mph barrel roll was my chute finally catching and pulled me out of it. The right rear tire was already coming over. We all knew the classes would eventually need to be changed to 1/8mi or become index classes with as fast as Diesel technology has been progressing. I think it’s a good move for the weight/safety aspect

d3cf6d9292738bfae110f05151529fdd.jpg
bd662709aacfc1636f88b8bae7cb24df.jpg
c0ff78d5e7c00798965a99d623a40623.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I think they should leave ps alone and just drop the weights and up the safety requirements. The guys that put up the time and money to race that class deserve the 1/4 mile IMO.

SS at a lot of events I've been to are as fast or faster than ps. I think 1/8th for them with their current safety isn't a terrible idea.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
I think they should leave ps alone and just drop the weights and up the safety requirements. The guys that put up the time and money to race that class deserve the 1/4 mile IMO.

SS at a lot of events I've been to are as fast or faster than ps. I think 1/8th for them with their current safety isn't a terrible idea.

There are not many PS trucks that race NHRDA at most events, the outlaw events is where they race, probably due to where most of them are located in the country. I bet is asked all most all the Prostock guys would vote for 1/8 mile.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
There are not many PS trucks that race NHRDA at most events, the outlaw events is where they race, probably due to where most of them are located in the country. I bet is asked all most all the Prostock guys would vote for 1/8 mile.

And you would be almost 100% correct on this statement sir! Most of them feel that it is easier on their equipment and will get more runs out of it without issues. It definitely puts it back in the drivers hands also because you have to be able to leave on the guy and front half good. Would make for some tighter racing also.