New wheels and tires ordered!

black00chev

Oct 16, 2017
Virginia
First off, I'm honestly surprised how quiet this section is!

So when I bought my new to me 04 LLY, it came with factory size Toyo Open Country H/T tires. Not sure if these are original tires or not, but I had one have a belt separate and cause one heck of a vibration and I picked up a screw in another.

So today I ordered 18x9 Ultra Machine whees in all black and 265/70-18 Cooper AT3 tires.

Im hoping these fit with no issues since they are only 1" wider and 1" closer on either side of the tire.

:happy2:

black00chev

Oct 16, 2017
Virginia
It looks like it could be close to the front bumper when turning the wheel, but the inner fender will have plenty of room for sure. Guess I'll find out for sure next week haha.

black00chev

Oct 16, 2017
Virginia
Well... For anyone who actually cares about info on what does and doesn't work... This combo I ordered doesnt work on a factory height '04 2500HD. 18x9 +12mm wheels with 265/70-18 tires.

Aside from the tires clipping the lower valance, they rub on the inner fender as well. It's not terrible by any means, but trimming along will not fix this issue.

Looks like I'll be ordering a leveling kit and praying that moves things up enough in the front to avoid any trimming of the lower valance and rubbing the inner fender. :(

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Do your research. Idk how many times people need to be told leveling kits are a bad bad idea and not even necessary because you can crank the torsion bars which is an equally terrible idea

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
You do realize guy have fit 35s on truck like yours without a lift?

I run bigger tires then you without cranking, but minor trimming. I have mudflaps that get in the way too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
My truck had the bumper trimmed and the big fender mod with flares still in place dropped 2 or 3 inches in the front with 22x12s and 305/40s which is about a 32 or 33 by 12 wide. I don’t see any reason why you’d need a kit. The valence takes less than a minute to trim per side.

black00chev

Oct 16, 2017
Virginia
Trust me fellas, I have done research. But for every person I've seen that hasn't had issues fitting the tires, I have seen another that did have issues. And it looks like im one of those people. So maybe my shocks are really tired out? Granted, I only have 32k miles on this truck, it is 14 years old.

What I was thinking of doing, is putting the wheels and tires back on the front, turn the wheel each way and see how bad im rubbing. Then try turning the t-bars up just 1" and re-checking at that point. If I still need to trim some then I may just have to do it. But I really want to avoid trimming anything.

Thoughts/opinions? Thanks! :thumb:

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
Those tires you have are actually 3" taller than the stock 245/75/16. Almost a 33" tall tire. You should crank the bars the same number of turns a side (4 and 4) see if it rubs and continue until you are happy.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Until he wears the front end out in a year and starts complaining about GMs junk IFS. A little bit ok, but I wouldn’t crank it more then an 1”. And wouldn’t crank it at all race it or use it hard in 4wd. That’s how you break stuff.

You space the bumper out if you don’t want to trim and remold the plastic liner with a heat gun.

black00chev

Oct 16, 2017
Virginia
Again trust me, I used the calculators and everything else I could figure out including rough measuring lol.

Dozer - Don't worry, Im a GM guy and have owned a Silverado ever since I could afford one. I know how junky the IFS fronts can be lol. But honestly, after talking to my buddy at work who has pretty much the same truck, Im going to try turning them up an inch and see how things look there. His truck is up 2" and has zero premature wear, excessive wear, or anything like that. And no ride quality difference.

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
Dozer was trying to tell you the IFS is not junk if used correctly. Trimming a little plastic is a lot better than wrecking the front end. I don’t know why this is so hard for people to understand.

black00chev

Oct 16, 2017
Virginia
Dozer was trying to tell you the IFS is not junk if used correctly. Trimming a little plastic is a lot better than wrecking the front end. I don’t know why this is so hard for people to understand.

I know what he meant lol. My half ton 4x4 is lowered 2"-4" and everything still works just fine in the front end with lowering keys.

black00chev

Oct 16, 2017
Virginia
Well I did what had to be done and got my new wheels and tires mounted on the truck. And so far, I'm happy with the outcome. I'll get some pictures of how it looks sometime tomorrow.

black00chev

Oct 16, 2017
Virginia
Lets try this again, so people don't have to click on something in order to see the darn picture lol.

(this was at a buddy's house after putting on the mirrors)
attachment.php

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
X 2 i'm getting a new set of fuel wheels as soon as I could toss up the coin ,with Mickey Thompson az3 p3 after reading a bunch they are really good tires