Info: new wheel bearing screech.

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I just replaced my left front wheel bearing about an hour ago and the new one still screeches like the old one I just replaced. I do know that the bearing needed replacement, it was starting to become loose along with the sound of a bad bearing. Now, I have a steady wheel with the sound of an old bearing.:( Truck has just over 60k and Ohio winter has not been kind, lots of rust on all parts involved. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time or liquids in my body to further investigate the cause.

Has anyone ever experienced a non bearing screech from the front end. It is not the brakes, it is still there when the brakes are applied. It does go away when weight is taken off the left side as in a sharp turn to the left (again bad bearing symptom). I guess it is possible to have gotten a bad bearing right out of the box. It was from Car Quest. I've never gotten shoddy parts from them before.:dontknow:

thanks Kat for posting the DIY, it helped a lot. Only took about 1:30, minus all the sweat wiping.

Last edited:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Could there be a possible small piece of dirt stuck between the break and the rotor?

I have a squeak in Wendy that I'm hoping that is what it is:confused:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
sounds like the same problem I had. took mine to the dealership they said they had the lube the CV shaft boot... problem was resolved.

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
yeah, probably the cv shaft boot. i just gone done replacing hub bearing too:cool2:, and when i was rotating the wheel my cv shaft boot was making a squeak like it was screaming for some lube.

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
I hope it is the CV shaft boot then.

Just give it a quick lube from the back with some grease?, or do I have to take the whole thing back apart again to do it properly?

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Make sure your dust shield is not rubbing the rotor. I have seen them close and when you load the bearing one way or another it would change sounds like a bearing.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Thanks for this thread Craig:D The screech is driving me crazy :baby: But, it is one of the frequencies Pat can't hear :(

Now he can have some things to check once we can get my truck on the lift:D

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
Well folks.

I found the cause of the problem.:mad:

Brake pads where stuck on the brackets and destroyed all four rotors. I could have likely ground off all the rust and crud and had them turned but I figured I should just start from scratch again.

So after replacing the pads and rotors, the screech went away. :rolleyes:

The inside of all the rotors where completely trashed and the outsides looked great. Other than the screech sound I had no idea what was going on, on the back side of the rotors. The best looking one was on the wheel that got the new bearing. But it was still a bit crappy and that prompted me to look into it farther today.

I guess I'm going to be making sure that the pads are sliding correctly on the brackets a bit more often from now on.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Well folks.

I found the cause of the problem.:mad:

Brake pads where stuck on the brackets and destroyed all four rotors. I could have likely ground off all the rust and crud and had them turned but I figured I should just start from scratch again.

So after replacing the pads and rotors, the screech went away. :rolleyes:

The inside of all the rotors where completely trashed and the outsides looked great. Other than the screech sound I had no idea what was going on, on the back side of the rotors. The best looking one was on the wheel that got the new bearing. But it was still a bit crappy and that prompted me to look into it farther today.

I guess I'm going to be making sure that the pads are sliding correctly on the brackets a bit more often from now on.

:eek: Glad you found the problem.

Rockin Robert our wrench should be back from vacation. Hopefully I find time some time next week to take it to him and let him drive her and try to diagnose the problem.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
:dunce: Mine is a wheel bearing also.

Hopefully Robert will have me all fixed up tomorrow :hug: That is if I get my A$$ out of bed and take it to him :rofl:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
That's a pretty easy fix, and not nearly as expensive as all new rotors and pads.

It stops a bit better now than it did before.:eek:

I'm going to have Robert look at those also why he has the wheel off.

I'm still under warranty as far as the wheel bearing goes :D

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Well Rocking Robert was flying this morning :D He got me in and out of the shop in less then a hour.

Thanks Robert :hug: