New turbo time

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
It's time to change out my turbo. I have ran the danville 72mm vgt for 8-9 years now and for 100,000 miles and it hasn't skipped a beat. The reason I want to change it is that my usage for the truck has changed and it doesn't suit my needs anymore. I used to do lots of hi way driving where I was always on the throttle, now I'm driving around a smaller (17000ish) town where I just don't have quite the streets to get this turbo where it likes to live while driving around on 35" tires. I had a precision ML (white) TC in the truck for most of it, but since blowing through it regularly I never noticed how easy it was to keep on top of the turbo since the rpms where always up. Now that I put a limitless 1078 in, this TC couples like a mofo but the aggressive fluid coupling down low doesn't compliment the 35s or the 72mm around town.

I've been pondering switching to a billet fleece s467.7 with a wcfab s400 kit or going to a danville 3794 stage2r . I'm 100% confident the 3794 will be a blast to drive, but the idea of a fixed vane like that one has me interested.

I've read plenty on the s472 turbos, I'm just worried it wouldn't suit my combo and I'd still be in the same position I'm in now. Any suggestions?

I also am considering possibly going to a Goerend K converter. I'm starting to think like 1078 might be a bit too tight.

Last edited:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Put the R vane plate in your 72 and go on with life. If that’s even an option anymore.

a 467.7 will not be super friendly with your setup.

The 3794 is amazing.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
If you're already not liking the way your 72vgt drives any S472 will just be worse. As said above, call Mark and see what he can do to bring that 72 online faster with a different vane plate or drop to a smaller frame charger like a 3794 as they are much more responsive as I would imagine yours is a 4094 based charger.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
What's your thoughts on the fleece s467.7 bdsankey? I've drivin the 72vgt to hell and back and I think I'm more or less bored with it, it's making me even wonder if it's starting to show wear with the mileage on it.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
What's your thoughts on the fleece s467.7 bdsankey? I've drivin the 72vgt to hell and back and I think I'm more or less bored with it, it's making me even wonder if it's starting to show wear with the mileage on it.

A 467.7 will not drive as nice as a 72vgt IMO with good tuning. If you already aren't liking the 72vgt for your driving styles you won't necessarily like the 467.7.

If you want to step to a 65mm or 68mm 3794 based charger you will still make enough power to kill the stock motor (reading your signature) and will be a TON more drivable than what you have now. Mark's new 65mm AeroMax is a killer unit and probably would run similar to what you have now on the big end. I've also had good luck with Titan Turbo Service and Dan's Diesel Performance turbochargers.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
Easy choise, Danville 3794. A buddies done 721/1256 on danvilles dyno with a 10mm cp3 and 60% injectors. I'm around 675 on sportsman cp3 and 45%. Spools fast enough to make you smile every time you roll into it I have almost 100,000 miles on mine :)

Reactions: Bdsankey

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I think Mark designed the 72mm to be ran in a compound set-up. I could see it being really lazy as a single especially on a stock motor truck.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
It really isn't bad at all, i did punish it for almost a decade :devilish:with the proper TC and bigger injectors it's lights very quickly. My truck used to be my dd but now that I drive it once every week or 2 and I went with a different tc I'm looking for something more playful around town. Running on 35s with stock gearing and living in a town with drivers as slow as they are here it's time for a change is all.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It really isn't bad at all, i did punish it for almost a decade :devilish:with the proper TC and bigger injectors it's lights very quickly. My truck used to be my dd but now that I drive it once every week or 2 and I went with a different tc I'm looking for something more playful around town. Running on 35s with stock gearing and living in a town with drivers as slow as they are here it's time for a change is all.

you kind of lucked out because the ML blows through so easy, it lit that charger sooner than the same comparable converter but with good coupling.

the 3794 will be awesome in the truck. probably wont have the top end the 72 had but the down low torque will burn the tires off still

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
you kind of lucked out because the ML blows through so easy, it lit that charger sooner than the same comparable converter but with good coupling.

the 3794 will be awesome in the truck. probably wont have the top end the 72 had but the down low torque will burn the tires off still
I can't tell in his signature but it may run even better on top-end as well if he is still running a stock cp3..

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I can't tell in his signature but it may run even better on top-end as well if he is still running a stock cp3..

eh, i wouldnt count on it. if hes lacking power and the 3794 makes it run better, it just means the uS should be reduced to up rail pressure and then it would be fairly even or an edge to the 72. just depends on tune size at that point, the 7 2 will feel more light switchy where the 37 will be smoother

Reactions: OleBlackyLBZ

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada

I certainly did luck out with the ML converter haha. Back when I did this combo years ago there wasn't such a lovely choice of converters to choose from. I'll happily trade some top end for all around better driveability. Truck has never seen the track and any street races I come across these days are way better suited for a smaller turbo